Full face or cycle helmet?

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering about helmets full face or ordinary cycle helmet. Currently I'm using my salice helmet for my road bike while out on the trails, but watching loads of YouTube vids everyone seems to be using full face helmets.
What sort of helmet is everyone else using full face of cycle helmet???

Thanks Neil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most types.(Pisspot,MTB,Fully).

but no road helmets as a peak has its uses.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what you ride. Rocky downhill stuff=full face.
    Which I don't do so just a normal helmet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Full face are very job-specific- you wouldn't want to ride a strenuous xc route with one on, even the best vented ones will melt your brain. But they're ideal for uplifts/push ups, as there's no downside on the way up, not much downside on the way down either.

There are some half-and-halfs like the Casco Viper and Met Parachute which are a bit neither one thing nor t'other, but some folks swear by them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I'd just stick with a normal MTB helmet unless your going to do really rocky and steap decents as full face just aren't needed tbh .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    I just stick with a normal XC-type lid for everything.
  • irvs
    I'll stick to an ordinary helmet then, cheers.

Neil
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I wear a pisspot style lid but one that has the venting of a normal road lid.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Irvs wrote:
    , but watching loads of YouTube vids everyone seems to be using full face helmets.
    Depends if you are riding the sort of stuff they are in the vids I suppose!
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    If i'm riding downhill I wear a fullface, if i'm riding XC its a pisspot, but only because that's all I have. I'd rather have an XC lid so I don't overheat as much!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You do occasionally see people riding XC wearing full face helmets. I have seen a few at Afan. Personally I would only ever wear mine for downhill & freeride. A XC helmet is the best thing for XC riding.
    Those Met Parachute type helmets are completely pointless. The pointless little chin bar will just get mashed in to your face as they don't have the support around your head that a proper full face has.
  • Majski
    Yeah I never got why any semi-intellectual person would buy one of those helmets thinking it's going to do any good whatsoever
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I just bought one of these for my more knarly stuff ->
    a.jpg
    still wear the XC lid for most stuff though.
  • Majski
    Whilst those actually look fairly functional for the 'enduro' type ride, I absolutly can't stand anything that Urge make
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Agreed, people I've seen wearing Urge lids look like complete twonks.

Don't let me piss on your chips though.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Well I'll be bucking the trend, look the goods imo, apart from that (Scotland aint Milan) they're probably the coolest (temp wise) full face you're going to get with the open front.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Majski wrote:
    Yeah I never got why any semi-intellectual person would buy one of those helmets thinking it's going to do any good whatsoever

It's easy to have thoughts like that about a product that you've never seen working. They're not to my taste but I've seen a few people have big crashes with them on and in at least a few of those they made a difference to that guy's day. They're not supposed to offer the protection of a full face- but what would you rather scrape along a rock, your face or a bit of plastic?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • irvs
    Deffently a piece of plastic bouncing of a rock that helmet looks cool though I would LOVE one of the red bull ones

Neil