Reccomend me a new frame

eugene1277
eugene1277 Posts: 29
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys...

Im looking to buy a new frame, preferably a hard tail, but not against a full sus...

I can't afford much more than £200 really, but i am prepared to buy second hand if in good condition and for the right price...

I mainly do cross country riding, nothing amazingly serious, but have been looking at Merlin frames, but i read they are only good if made by Kenesis??? Not sure if true or not...

I did see some Giant XTC Composite frames floating around Ebay, they went for around £170ish...

I was looking at a Boardman Pro frame, but have read very mixed reviews about the frames, so i am not sure...

Can anyone recommend some frames that would be worth looking out for?

Cheers :)

Comments

• tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    why not an un- decal frame from on-one either the carbon 456 or carbon whippet for around £250 ?
  • eugene1277
    Wow, those frames look pretty nice... Full on carbon frames for that sort of money.. I would of thought carbon frames we be way more than that, no?

I'm not really fussed on fancy decals etc... I just want a really solid, durable frame... With a good warranty if buying new...

Only down side to those on-one frames is the price is just a little bit out of my budget, mainly because i do have to buy one or two new parts to complete the frame, as couple of things of my current bike need replacing...

hmmmm....

Any more suggestions folks.. Thanks
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    My main suggestion is that if you skimp on the frame you'll regret it.

Better to buy a decent frame with cheap component and upgrade the components when you have some more money (if you even need to).
  • eugene1277
    Yeah i hear you on that... To be fair the components on my current bike are all fine, happy with what ive got.. Just need a new front mech and maybe a rear one, the rest will transfer straight across to the new frame...

I do like the look of the on-one frames i must say...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll always get a better buy used if you are cautious and patient..... there are some great bargains to be had.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eugene1277
    Yeah like i say i'm not put off by a second hand frame...

Is there anything in particular i should be keeping an eye out for, or even frames i should be staying away from?

Thanks
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    On One do great value frames. I have an 18" inbred frame for sale if interest (steel, white accommodates 100 or 120mm travel). Their scandal frames on whippets are also great. I had a Merlin (Rock Lobster alu) but it was too short in the top tube and personally I much preferred my Inbred. Both Merlin & On One have a good rep though and offer good customer service. As far as I know all of the merlin frames are fine. Another option that you sort of refer to is Kinesis, they make some great value alu frames. Currently I ride a Kinesis Decade Versa Prestige and really like it, a little over your budget though I guess. http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... de-Virsa-2
    If you can find one that fits, Handsome Dog (from all terrain cycles) might be worth a look too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • eugene1277
    passout wrote:
    On One do great value frames. I have an 18" inbred frame for sale if interest (steel, white accommodates 100 or 120mm travel). Their scandal frames on whippets are also great. I had a Merlin (Rock Lobster alu) but it was too short in the top tube and personally I much preferred my Inbred. Both Merlin & On One have a good rep though and offer good customer service. As far as I know all of the merlin frames are fine. Another option that you sort of refer to is Kinesis, they make some great value alu frames. Currently I ride a Kinesis Decade Versa Prestige and really like it, a little over your budget though I guess. http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... de-Virsa-2
    If you can find one that fits, Handsome Dog (from all terrain cycles) might be worth a look too.

Thanks for the info bud.. Appreciate it...

There is currently a Whippet on Ebay, currently at 150 1 bid.. Gonna keep my eye on that.. Have been reading some really good reviews about on-one.. Think i'm leaning towards one of them..

Also, is carbon a good material for a frame for cross country riding? I know its a common thing with road bikes, but i have not really heard of loads of people using it for cross country/down hill, is it practical?

Thanks
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    A good carbon frame is fine for XC & On One are a reputable company. There are some mysterous new 'made in china' carbon frames on E-Bay which I wouldn't trust - I'd stick to a UK based company in case something goes wrong.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • j40aja
    j40aja Posts: 65
    Hi I've got a carbon BeOne Pro Raw frame for sale in the classifieds at the moment. Really nice frame takes 1"1/8th forks but has a 44mm I/D headtube so should be good for tapered steerers. It's also disc and V brake compatible and very light 1020grams on my scale. Takes a standard 68mm bottom bracket, I used a Hope HTII and the headset is still fitted again a Hope item.

Not sure what size you need but it's a 21" and suitable for riders from about 5'10" upwards.

Cheers,

Alan (j40aja)