Block Paving Driveway

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited May 2012 in The Crudcatcher
We had a guy come round yesterday asking if we wanted our driveway re-doing, yeah I know :D but he wasn't the typical gippo type. As we were planning on getting it done in a year or so anyway I let him talk me through it and give me a quote,this is where the problem starts!

He gave me an excellent quote, told me how much base layer he would put down etc and said I could go down the road and ask other people for references that he'd completed driveways for. We've seen him actually working on a few and his work always seems tidy and well carried out.

The trouble is I'm always nervous about cold-callers and usually I'd rather call the company first and instigate the project rather than the other way around. Would you take the risk or tell him to bugger off and call in a 'proper company' in a few years for probably 50% of the price on top of what we've been quoted?

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i would chin him off, no question.

then i would only reconsider doing the driveway if it became too difficult to drive onto.
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Why not get some quotes from his competitors and see if his price was good for real?

As you were considering it anyway then it won't hurt and if other people are happy with his work then you probably will be too.

The prices for this sort of job never comes down and if you wait you will pay more!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Depends as well on if he will scream to the pigs about the bodies he finds under the old drive, last thing you want is half a drive done and a new driveway later shaped bump in it, plus the hassle of finding someone new to finish it.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp