The next purchase new shoes /peddles - advice ?

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Ive recently released the moths from my bank account and purchased hard

ive been using my MTB shoes for 2 years on both MTB and road outings so im going to upgrade, i spoke about it on the Sunday ride yesterday and BONT got mentioned VAYPOR model

im running shimano spd's and looking at the BONT shoe its a different cleat set up all together - LOOK pedals cleats

thought id ask if there's anyway to use the speedplay system is there a bracket to make the 3 holes on the shoe 4 holes ? its going to cost me a few quid but id rather get something right 1st time than swop and buy stuff again and again

welcome your feedback on shoes and peddles for the BONT shoe

cheers all

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    The Bont shoes have standard 3 bolt standard soles to take the Look / Shimano road pedal cleats usually. Speedplay pedals come supplied with the adaptor plates (plastic ones) that convert the 3 bolt configuration to accept the 4 bolt cleats. There are also some wedges included to fit the different curvature of the soles.

Speedplay have a compatibility table - i'll dig it out. Great pedals anyway - love mine. Just bought titanium spindles from the USA to replace the standard Cro-mo ones. Works out loads cheaper than the Speedplay Titanium pedals, and there's a much higher weight limit on the replacement spindles.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shoeguide.searchroad

If you're 100% sure on the Speedplay pedals then Bont can supply 4 bolt soles specifically for the pedals
  • ricey155
    im not 100% on the speedplay pedals but im 99% on the bont shoes only problem seems to be getting a pair :D

it seems there only in stock at RRP and no offers anywhere which is sad news for me, the speedplay pedals look nice id guess there on a par with look and other brands

need to move away from SPD's and try something new :lol:
  • MICHAELCYCLES
    MICHAELCYCLES Posts: 350
    Well I wouldn't call 15% off full RRP.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... D/BONTZSHR
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    You might like to read a current thread in this very forum about road shoes & pedals:
    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12852181

The fit of a shoe is more important than anything else. I would never buy cycling shoes without trying them on first.

I'd recommend some good SPD-compatible shoes, they needn't cost a lot. Or save up for some lighter wheels, they'll make more difference than anything else (if you haven't done that already).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ricey155
    Already done the new carbon wheels and bike looking at upgrading the feet :mrgreen:

got tubs glued also, so this is hopefully the last purchase for a while :|

speedplays look so sexy till you see your shoe with a massive cleat on it :wink:
  • ricey155
    not bad few online dealers have decent money off, highonbikes on ebay 140 all in for a-two's

do i need the vaypors for that little extra
    Well I wouldn't call 15% off full RRP.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... D/BONTZSHR
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Have you tried them on, bike shoes are a very personal thing much like saddles, try before you buy!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Ricey155 wrote:
    speedplays look so sexy till you see your shoe with a massive cleat on it :wink:
    Most male cyclists look anything but sexy, cleats or no cleats.

Not sure how someone can find pedals sexy, but there you go... it could all get a bit dodgy if you ask me.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ricey155
    quality link :roll:

well ive done buying in the end i visited my LBS - ride Cov and bought some Mavic galibiers shoes very nice fit and so much stiffer than my MTB shoes, speedplays are on there way can't wait :P

more pressies to open and try out
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Got to say - I just bought some Sidi's and look pedals - I am enjoying them - esp the shoes!
  • ricey155
    i was split between the Sidi pro 5 and the mavics, the slight price on the mavics won the day

just need my pedals delivering and were away :mrgreen:
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Got to say - I just bought some Sidi's and look pedals - I am enjoying them - esp the shoes!
  • ricey155
    back with a review

my Knee problem has completely gone with new shoes and speedplay pedals, ive read so much about speedplays sorting issues out so money well spent

never again will i buy cheap and cheerful gear

happy biking all