Cycle to Work scheme - which bike?

Rich28
Rich28 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All, new to the forum and looking to get into biking, mainly for fitness at the moment. I have an option to do the cycle to work scheme and am looking to spend £600ish max on a bike.

I won't be doing anything too extreme on it straight away but will be using it for road, trail, canals etc to start off with, but don't want to end up spending a load of money later on upgrading if I can can a decent bike now.

I'm looking at the Trek 4500d and Boardman Comp at the moment but unsure if these are "too good" for what I want the bike for, also looked at the Carrera Vulcan based on the great reviews it got.

Any advice / help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What scheme, what retailers? You can only get a Boardman on the Halfords scheme, no other, although if you're on the Halfords scheme some retailers can take the vouchers. The Trek isn't good value for money (in fact it's about as good a bike as the Vulcan for about 75% more money), the fork can be found on £350 bikes (like the Vulcan), and the drivetrain is very low rent (no better than the Vulcan).

For your usae you don't need the weight/cost of suspension, so unless you're think of doing serious mountain biking, then maybe look as something rigid like the Boardman urban MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rich28
    Our scheme covers most retailers, unfortunately on checking, halfords isn't one of them!! Popular choice seems to be Evans.
    Think I prefer to have a hardtail. Any recommendations? Been looking at the specialized hardrock sport disc. Is this any better than the Trek?
    Thanks
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    if it covers decathlon then the rockrider 8.1 is highly recommended on here.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just been considering a new b2w steed myself, any recomendations on a hardtail from edinburgh cycles?

*Edit

Just been for a look round the shop at lunchtime and liking the Genesis Core 26.3. Just got to convince the missus that I need a new bike but she's not sold on the n+1 formula.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • kevkiev
    kevkiev Posts: 2
    I got a Boardman Hybrid Comp http://www.ridein.co.uk/boardman-performance-hybrid-comp-2011/ via the Halfords scheme last year. Really pleased with the bike. I'd been out of cycling for a while but have ridden some decent bikes in the past and it's stood up to a daily12 mile commute. Can't argue with that, can you?

Despite all the horror stories you hear, the bike was fairly well set up by Halfords. No lose wheels or back to front forks! :D
  • The Rookie
    Rich28 wrote:
    halfords isn't one of them!!
    Great advice kevkiev....not!

The Hardrocks are generally pretty poor bikes, although the Sport disc is I understand one of the better ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If chain reaction cycles are on this scheme (not sure), then the vitus bikes look really great value to me. If Evans then I'd go for their own brand Pinncale unless you see something else reduced. Trek, Giant & Specailised don't really make 'bad' bikes by the way - it's just a case of get what you pay for. That said some bike like the Rock Rider to seem to offer better components than some others. Most important thing is to get decent advice regarding sizing, read up on sizing & then sit on a bike - preferably a test ride. Correct fit & is more important than brand.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Rich28
    Thanks all for the advice. Going to have a proper look around over the weekend.
  • gwowders
    gwowders Posts: 19
    Hi Rich,

For what it's worth I picked up a Specialized Rockhopper 2012 a few weeks ago through CycleScheme (which is probably what your company is using if it isn't Cycle 2 Work - I found that CycleScheme don't use Halfords as a supplier either) and absolutely love it. I'd heard a few negative comments about the value for money etc. but its streets ahead of what I had before and most importantly I love riding it!

Ben
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I thought there was a sticky on here praising the 4500D, but I can't seem to find it. I'd spend as much as you can straight off, as buying cheaper and upgrading will tend to work out more expensive.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I thought there was a sticky on here praising the 4500D, but I can't seem to find it.

viewtopic.php?f=40074&t=12846847
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'd spend as much as you can straight off, as buying cheaper and upgrading will tend to work out more expensive.

+1

I've had three bikes off the scheme so far. two bikes were 1k and one was £580, when I got the cheaper bike I regreted not getting something better. Now I'm looking at the Genesis Core 26.3 for b2w no 4.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • chally3
    chally3 Posts: 7
    edited May 2012
    Opps
  • The Rookie
    chally3 wrote:
    hope this helps :)
    I doubt it HE CAN'T USE HALFORDS as it says at least twice above!