cramp in foot

fletchl25
fletchl25 Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys just a quick question, I recently bought some new cycling shoes with look delta cleats. Since i've started using them about 2 months ago i keep getting cramp on the outer side of my right foot, from the base of my little toe down3/4 way to my heel? Does anyone know why this is or how i can top this happening pls?
Any help would be great thanks Fletch

Comments

• Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Several possibilities to be honest, and many things you can try:

- Loosen shoes a little. As you ride your feet will swell, so it may be that you're starting off with snug shoes that then become a little tight when your feet swell.

- Cleats may be in the wrong place. Were they set up by your LBS, or have you moved them recently? Convention says they should be positioned so that the balls of your feet are aligned with the crank/pedal interface. If they are, and it still hurts, try moving them back on the shoe a little (2-3mm at a time). Alternatively, you might need to move them toward the inside of the shoe a little to widen your feet in relation to the pedals.

- Insoles. Sometimes a specific insole is needed for arch support (Spesh BG's are pretty good in varying degrees)

- Wedges/Shims. Either in-shoe (again, Spesh BG) or cleat wedges can make a difference.

- Shoes might not be wide enough if you have wider feet.

- Bike fit can check for feet/leg/knee alignment to make sure you are set up correctly mechanically on the bike.

Any or all of those could be a factor but it's an individual thing, so no definitive answer sadly (trust me, I feel your pain having spent the last year trying to sort it). For me, the cleat wedges have made the biggest difference, but it still needs some work.

Personally, I would suggest trying some of the free options in the list and see if they make a difference before spending out on other options.

Always make sure you make small adjustments and ride a few times to see if they make things better or worse before either going further or reverting to a previous position, and make sure you take a record of how things are before you start so that you can come back to current settings if things don't work.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Such a great answer from Simmotino, covered it all except maybe you could try wearing them on the correct foot :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fletchl25
    fletchl25 Posts: 3
    Thanks for your feed back Simmotino, I will try as you said the free options first and take note of original settings first. Its nice to know it just not me who suffer's from this. Im so glad that there are sites like this where you can get help from experienced riders. Just hope i can get this sorted before my 100km ride on 9th june as having cramp is not nice. U've given me a lot of help here i cant thank you enough u've covered all aspects and a lot i can try. Happy Pedaling Fletchl25
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    as simmontino said, cleat wedges solved a very similar problem for me, bikefit systems wedges
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....