Clean wheel decals

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Wasn't sure where this should be but...

I've got Campag wheels with white decals. The rest of the wheel is clean but the white decals have faint spots on them that just don't clean off when the rest of the wheel is cleaned.

Anything I can use on the decals to get them clean and shiny without being too powerful etc?

I currently spray on Muc Off and use a soft sponge.

Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Try a bit of Jif cream cleaner.. failing that.. set of my DT Swiss wheel decals started to look tatty, I just removed them.. I left the hub centre ones on just to prove to others that I have a bit of class of course.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    My new Fulcrum 3's have large areas of white decal so I use Park Tool Citrus Chain Brite to clean them up. Put a small amount on a cloth and gently rub over the dirty area - it should lift. Once clean rinse off any remaining cleaner with a wet cloth. Citrus Brite is a solvent so you don't want to be sloshing the stuff all over decals because you'll end up removing the glue! It's great stuff though, can be used all over the bike for getting oil marks off.

http://www.parktool.com/product/citrus-chainbrite-cb-2
  • rc856
    Excellent. Thanks.

They're a pretty new set of Shamals so hadn't planned on removing the decals yet

:D
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    peel the decals off and throw them over next doors.
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Likely to be tar from the road, try car tar remover and a light car polish, that should remove any spotting.
  • I found WD40 on a rag did a good job of cleaning the white Fulcrum ones on my wheels - just avoid the braking track obviously !
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i've found some types of stickers like wheel decals that arent painted over can get rubbed away with cleaning and solvents. you may be getting patches of backing showing through where grit or dirt has scuffed the ink off, it can show up as little dots. i tore them off and threw them into next doors garden.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Contact ezyrider, he'll let you have the details of someone who can provide replacement decals. If you ask nicely he may even let you see photos of his :lol:
  • rc856
    Pross,

I think you've nailed it there mate. Great idea :lol: