Sorry chaps, £1k budget, suggestions?

taazzukcb
taazzukcb Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Sorry to do this ...tried not to but I've now been looking for 3-4 weeks and just getting myself lost. I used to ride a ht in towns when I was at uni doing the usual inventive town riding etc, nothing special overly. A hardrock sport disc.

Anyway several years later and several years after selling I've got the bug again and I have the chance to get something under one of the cycle to work schemes ... Whichever I choose tbh. So this is where the £1k budget comes in. Can be a little I've I'm sure as most places will just invoice me separately for that bit.

Anyway I keep swaying between ht and full sus. I'll be on the road a fair bit, with flat trails and hopefully some woods and semi downhill'ish runs when I discover hem around my local area. What would be the best route do you reckon? Love the look of all the kit on fulls tbh ... But then that also means the maintenance ... Though that's not a problem at all.

I've been looking at kit like the Decathlon Rockrider hard tails and fulls. The halfords boardmans ... I like the look of the Giant Anthem X5 iirc ... Also a couple cannondails etc. I've read so many reviews I'm confused where to go!?

I have a few more in mind but can't remember them ATM but any help would be appreciated though I know this is probably a bit repetitive for your lot ... Sorry again :)!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's under C2W which scheme do you have access to? Halfords only sell via there own scheme for example, I won't give you any advice until I know what your scheme will allow as all to often we get to a bike and then find the poster can't get it and we start all over again!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bulletjie
    bulletjie Posts: 4
    For the record, Halfords vouchers can be used from other participating bike shops. I bought my Cube Ltd Race from Stows Cycles (www.stows.co.uk) with a Halfords voucher.

Jaco
  • taazzukcb
    Sorry about that.

We as of yet we havent signed up to one, but I have basically been given th choice based on what bike I go for. I know there's halfords the one, cycle scheme, bike 2 work and chain reaction do there own to iirc. So any of the schemes basically! They're all about the same I think anyway!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All schemes are governed by the tax break rules, so are similar.

You are aware of the Fair market value that needs to be paid at the end of the scheme, may pay you to look for one that does extended rental to avoid this.

Not sure if Decathlon participate in cycle to work as I can't find anything on their webby.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • taazzukcb
    Decathlon do the cyclescheme IIRC ... started late'ish last year ... though they dont advertise it much!
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    Its more obvious in store!! But its all depends on the scheme your employer is signed up to