Riding buddy dropping back

lauprok
lauprok Posts: 11
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi.. long time lurker first time poster.. cheesy i know :)
Anyway, I ride with a friend every week and I usually ride on his wheel as he knows the way and I get hopelessly lost. But lately I've felt extremely guilty as I always end up passing him on hills and feeling like I'm taking advantage of being behind, so I've now tried to always be at the front when possible and it's just useless, I end up miles in front and I have to wait for him all the time.. Now I'm not steaming ahead at a fast pace, I'm trying my best to match his pace but he just drops back. I could just sit on his wheel the entire ride but I would feel like I've not put the effort in. It's not like I can just talk to him and say why don't you keep up? Makes me seem like a bit of an arse.
I don't think I'm even asking for advise because I can't see anything that I can do, I just wanted to get it off my chest I guess. I do get the impression that he likes to be infront but does nothing for my guilt :(

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Ride side by side (assuming you're on quiet roads)? You even get to chat that way :)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Learn how to ride on the front of a weaker rider. It's a very useful skill to have. It's basically the reverse of how you ride to go fast. So you work harder on the descents than you do the ascents, you also need to avoid any sharp accelerations particularly out of corners and similar where the person behind would've let the gap increase out of safety. You shouldn't endlessly look over your shoulder but from the noise, shadows and looks you can tell if the rider is still there and if your pace is reasonable.

However mostly it sounds like you both need more and different people to ride with who are more matched.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Sounds like he enjoys riding his bike, but you feel the need to out perform him.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Sounds like he enjoys riding his bike, but you feel the need to out perform him.

Don't read that. It does seem that you are either a stronger rider and sat on your buddies wheel allows him to control the pace until you hit a hill where you want to spin faster to climb it and end up dropping your pal. As jibberjim suggests - if you want to ride on front and set the pace then you need to learn how to control your speed to allow your friend to stay on your wheel and possibly gently up the pace gradually over a number of rides to help him improve his fitness and pace.

Worth talking to your buddy to see what he wants out of a ride too. If he's out to enjoy the countryside and you're out to build speed and endurance then you'll end up being permanently frustrated and need to find a new ride partner.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    As already said, ride side by side. You'll be able to get a picture of where you differ.
    Have you thought about joining a club?
    You could find groups for both of you?
  • lauprok
    Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful. We do ride side by side when possible but there was so much traffic yesterday on the country lanes that we spent a fair amount of time single file.
    I'll try and put more effort into keeping a consistant steady pace and stop looking behind me so often.
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    This is what I'm trying to avoid coming across as when we are riding and why I asked for advise. I enjoy riding with him and I didn't want him to feel like I was taking the pee.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's easy enough to check behind and see he's still on your wheel ?
    And also he shouldn't be so proud as to not ask you to take it easy when he's struggling.

Are you doing more training than him lately ?
  • brete
    brete Posts: 1
    You really should just talk to him about it. Maybe he doesn't want to ride as fast as you, or maybe he can't.

Ask him if he'd like to try a new record on your favourite route, or something. That should give him the motivation to ride as fast as he can.
    now working on tilitoimisto Lahti
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    ALaPlage wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Don't read that. It does seem that you are either a stronger rider and sat on your buddies wheel allows him to control the pace until you hit a hill where you want to spin faster to climb it and end up dropping your pal. As jibberjim suggests - if you want to ride on front and set the pace then you need to learn how to control your speed to allow your friend to stay on your wheel and possibly gently up the pace gradually over a number of rides to help him improve his fitness and pace.

Worth talking to your buddy to see what he wants out of a ride too. If he's out to enjoy the countryside and you're out to build speed and endurance then you'll end up being permanently frustrated and need to find a new ride partner.

Excellent answer, I ride with my future son-in-law, who is exceptional and half my age, he knows I need a while to warm and once warm we will work through and off together, he knows my weaknesses and strengths, i.e. lousy on drags, but very good on the flat and downhills.

Work out your strengths and weaknesses and work together to improve.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Excellent answer, I ride with my future son-in-law, who is exceptional and half my age
    Does your daughter know what you are both planning yet? :lol:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    we have a rider in our group that will take the tow quiet a lot, and on the rare occasions he takes the lead, he'll go past at such a pace (and when you're not expecting it) that it's difficult to get on his tail, It could be that your mate either A) can't get into the tow quick enough and gives up chasing or simply doesn't feel comfortable riding on your wheel. Chat about it, come to a solution that suits both your riding styles?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    I train with two different type of riders. One is a much stronger rider than I who destroys me on climbs but he knows I have the ability to chase him down and catch him up and to be honest I enjoy it. It males me work harder and has made me a stronger rider. The other is much weaker than I and I just use these rides as recovery rides and slightly push it a little as not to totally drop him but to make him work which he likes. I roughly know his capability's and try to match them on rides with him and he rides side by side where safe. On occasions I will not intentionally drop him and just tend to drop the speed until he catches up and then we carry on at his pace he's happy with
  • lauprok
    Good advice from everyone thanks.. Sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious answers that you can't see.
    We are both fairly new ish to cycling. I think I'm going to have to be a little more considerate when in front and pay attention, I tend to get into a good rhythm and tootle off without thinking.
    I don't want to lose a good riding buddy by making him think I'm being an arse. When I ride solo during the week I give it everything I've got and I now realize that I should just ride and enjoy it when on our long rides at weekend rather than trying to keep up a good pace.
    As for talking to him about it, I'm certainly not the type of guy that would would imply that I'm any faster than him, if indeed I am? I'll just try to improve my ability to keep a steady pace and enjoy the ride, Then hammer it when I ride solo during the week :)
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You could try carrying a bit of weight on a carrier or back pack or using a heavier bike. Or restricting your gearing so you can get some training effect and match your buddies speed. If that doesn't work, for hills on quiet roads blast your way to the top and turn back down again to repeat the climb. You need to talk to your buddy to appreciate each others needs and get a compromise that works for both of you.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Could him dropping off be due to lack of confidence descending and going through corners? When I started group riding, I was cr*p at both and would drop back as the others shot off downhill or whizzed round the bends as I was braking too much and tentatively going round them. Also, he may not have confidence following very close and loose the tow of following you - and this could be compounded of you're not cycling a steady pace.

Maybe you both could try some technique training - rather than just distance - cornering, descending, riding on the wheel? It will help generally, and give you the opportunity to discuss dropping him without sounding too patronising.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    When you get to the top of the hill ahead of him, do you sit up, throw your hands in the air and wave to the (imaginary) crowd? ;)

Sounds like you're just faster than he is.

Either accept that rides with him will be slower, and enjoy the ride for the other qualities, his company, being outside, etc, or go on your own/find someone who's closer in speed to you.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662
    Velonutter wrote:
    ALaPlage wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Excellent answer, I ride with my future son-in-law, who is exceptional and half my age, he knows I need a while to warm and once warm we will work through and off together, he knows my weaknesses and strengths, i.e. lousy on drags, but very good on the flat and downhills.

Work out your strengths and weaknesses and work together to improve.

Hey Velonutter, sounds like the OP actually IS your future son-in-law!!! :mrgreen:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS