Every one was a beginner

spitfireace
spitfireace Posts: 19
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Everyone began riding road bikes at one time and another,can you remember the moment everything came together
for the first time ,your best ride ,mine was yesterday ,being so comfortable on my bike ,gear changes in the right
place to spin up hills and the descent felt right touching 42mph with a long sweeping left hander and average speeds way above the norm, still on a high today. :D

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Why didn't you go out today then? Chasing the dragon I believe they call it. :D
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I thought that involved heroin and tin foil?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • spitfireace
    I did went on exactly the same route had hell of storm half way round
    still a good ride but not as good as yesterday, :)
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I used to feel 'high' a few weeks ago when the weather was warm and dry and I had just set up a Giant tcr. I haven't ridden it for 3 weeks now, mainly turbo work (10hrs)because it's warm and dry inside. But I 'aint bothered because the turbo work is having a really good effect when out on a mountain bike. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    This is genuinely true, but my best ever ride is also my worst - I was out late March having trained hard all winter in all sorts of shocking weather. On this particular day it was cool but not cold and bright and dry. I was absolutely flying (for me) and was finding the usual hills a breeze after a few weeks of hellish hill intervals... I had just climbed a long steady drag and was cruising on the flat at the top and I distinctly remember feeling great, deeply happy and in tune with my body / bike... Then wham! I was suddenly sat in the middle of road, facing the opposite direction, my bike about 5 metres behind me with a broken scaphoid and my right hand side ruined with road rash (despite two thermal layers).

Still not back riding, but that last ride was awesome right until that moment - maybe I got too confident? No idea what caused the crash - just lost control on a flat section. had there been a car right beind me, I expect I'd be dead, and judging by the scuffs on my helmet I'd have had serious head injury without it.

The moral? I guess just remember that on a bike, danger is always a hairs breadth away, so never ever take your eye off the ball, no matter how perfect things feel!
  • spitfireace
    That is so true about keeping your focus on what you are doing,thought about that descent a few times since Saturday
    i know the road well but could easily have ended in an accident, but at the time it was a great feeling. :)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    For me I think it was the first time I rolled into Watchet on the Somerset coast. Just checked and it was "only" 20 miles from home up and over the east side of Exmoor, but at 15, on a heavy Raleigh MTB, it felt amazing, like I'd actually "gone somewhere".

Funnily enough I did more or less the same distance yesterday. That felt good too: new bike :D
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012