Removing xtr crankset

pauljoes
pauljoes Posts: 186
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi hope someone can help me Please...... Need remove xtr crankset to for inner chain ring, my set hasn't gota crank arm cap last time lbs removed crank he never replaced not sure why he did explain at time crank arm fixing bolt removed now should the arm just slide off? Or is there more to do other than loosing off adjusting set nut?
TREK REMEDY 9
ORANGE CRUSH
DOLAN TUONO
PLANET X PRO CARBON

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Which XTR crankset? But undo the pinch bolts a bit at a time and then remove the preload bolt and then ....... There maybe a spacer to flip out.

More info. Or see Parktools or download the manual for the model of cranks you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    On a 2009 trek remedy
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but which crankset not which bike......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    2009 is likely to be a M970 series I am guessing....think that needs a 'special' XTR crank tool to remove....my 970 chainset came with one that screws inplace of plastic ring and then you use the crank arm alloy cap to unscrew - drawing the arm off the spindle.
    vmgscot
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    If it is an FC-M970 chainset then you need to look at these fitting and removal instructions

To see what model chainset you have then look on the back of the crank arm, it is stamped around the hole the pedal screws into.