Shifter problem

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a bit of a problem and I suspect it's a shifter issue. Any help would be most appreciated!

My setup is (I assume) the bottom of the range shimano - 7 speed, came on my entry level hybrid about 4 years ago. I've just replaced the rear wheel, cassette, chain, rear derailleur and rear gear cable (broken hub, wheel skewed enough to catch the derailleur in the spokes, ended up with a cracked rim and slightly sheered mech :( cassette and chain had done about 7500 miles, so were probably in need of replacing anyway!)

The problem is, I can't get the indexing set correctly! The limit screws have the mech sitting in the right place and I can set it so that the shifting is smooth for the lower 6 sprockets, but the 7th won't shift properly. If I set the tension so the 6th/7th shifting is fine, it throws all the other shifts out.

It does seem like the shifter doesn't take in/let out as much cable between 6th and 7th, and that would explain the problem, but I can't see why this should happen :? I've opened up the shifter, but can't see any muck or anything interfering with the mechanism.

Anyone experience a similar problem?

Thanks for any help,
James

Comments