The Hadron Collider & Higgs-Boson Explained: Cartoon

mercsport
mercsport Posts: 664
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
This is a really well put together cartoon explaining the thinking behind the notion of the Higgs-Boson 'God' particle.

That is if you have at least an elementary grasp of physics which I do not. Still, it entertains and awes this thicko in much the same way that post on here the other day (also swiped from APOD) upon the scale of things large and small.

First minute is a wee bit noisy until the cartoon starts: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120501.html
"Lick My Decals Off, Baby"

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Thanks. I enjoyed that. And I am enlightened. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    really good -very interesting, well spotted - of course they could always collide particels with Bhima - the fastest thing - EVA :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There's another one about Dark Matter: http://vimeo.com/22956103
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mercsport
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's another one about Dark Matter: http://vimeo.com/22956103

Missed that one. :shock:

That was another really enjoyable 'toon telling me, again, we all really know very, very little about the void we all float around in: "We don't know" being the recurring phrase in both vid's. That's the great thing about exploration, the chance of discovering stuff that no one has ever known before. I'd suppose we're all hanging around for another Einstein to pull it all together for now. And, naturally, should that happen there'll be even more stuff "we don't know".

Good spot, and thanks for putting it up. :D
  • RichN95.
    If you enjoy the whole lecture + animation genre, I'd recommend RSA Animate which does the same sort of thing with talks on economics, political philosophy and sociology. You may not agree with all the speakers (I didn't), but they're certainly interesting and well made.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cracking stuff :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    RichN95 wrote:
    If you enjoy the whole lecture + animation genre, I'd recommend RSA Animate which does the same sort of thing with talks on economics, political philosophy and sociology. You may not agree with all the speakers (I didn't), but they're certainly interesting and well made.

Brilliant! I've filed the one by David Harvey under nail, head.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Higgs boson thing = WHOOOSH for me.. but love the RSA stuff.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I like a good pair of Bosons
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Aerozine50
    Aerozine50 Posts: 73
    Regarding the dark matter issue, I think the Hardon Collider is an expensive folly.

Lets face it - If professor Brian Cox wants to find what lies at the centre of a black hole, he oonly needs to ask his missus for a look inside her handbag!

Et voila instant black hole! lots of objects go in but hardly any ever come out again. Especially in the case of my missus's handbag!!!

Puts on Asbestos armour and awaits incoming counter battery fire!!

regards

Aerozine50
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    great link, love it, how cool must it be to be working on that!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mercsport
    RichN95 wrote:

Agreed. Ta for the link. Now, if only some of it would stick.... :(
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Hey, you don't happen to be a member of NASTRO on Facebook do you? It's just a similar thing was posted on there not long ago.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    So what the heck are we supposed to make of all that? 3 possible Outcomes:
    1 - A complete blank
    2 - A machine you which dial in a few up and down quarks, press a button and hey presto - an Eccles cake
    3 - Switzerland goes boom and we get sh1t weather for 20 years 'cos of all the atmospheric dust. Never mind bits of cuckoo clock messing up the paintwork on the car and lumps of the Matterhorn wrecking sportives.

Now seriously.
    The Indian population is exploding beyond sustainable.
    The Chinese are raping and pillaging natural resources from Ivory to Minerals to tiger bone like it is infinite whilst supporting barbaric despotic leaders
    We are soon running out of oil
    Parts of the world are becoming more susceptible to drought or floods on an epic scale
    Half of Africa is in civil strife
    The Amazonias is under threat
    Global fish stocks are critical
    The Indonesians have just about wiped out the last remaining habitat of the Orangutang etc etc etc

Call me a damp squib all you like, but how can you justify wasting so much energy and so much money chasing a theory when there are so many frikkin problems we need to sort out globally and a perfectly beautiful orb to live on if we were'nt so hell bent on destroying it.
    You can stuff your Hadron Collider and all the disconnected Autistic geeks, dweebs, tuchtas, fakirs, soothsayers nerds and anoraks who work on it. They make me puke with their 'I'm so clever though can't be bothered working towards solutions for real problems' attitude.

I am sticking to my Hebron Collander which makes fantastis Kosher salads and was made with a dustbin lid a hammer and a bent nail.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mercsport
    Hey, you don't happen to be a member of NASTRO on Facebook do you? It's just a similar thing was posted on there not long ago.

What? Me? No, sorry.

I live in a parish called Saddleworth, quite a way from 'up there' in Northumberland. Also, Facebook is a foreign land to me. APOD is a great site for all things wondrous and natural.
  • mercsport
    pinarello001 said:
    "Call me a damp squib all you like, but how can you justify wasting so much energy and so much money chasing a theory when there are so many frikkin problems we need to sort out globally and a perfectly beautiful orb to live on if we were'nt so hell bent on destroying it."

Because it may just be the answer to all of your earnest anxieties.
  • RichN95.
    Now seriously.
    The Indian population is exploding beyond sustainable.
    The Chinese are raping and pillaging natural resources from Ivory to Minerals to tiger bone like it is infinite whilst supporting barbaric despotic leaders
    We are soon running out of oil
    Parts of the world are becoming more susceptible to drought or floods on an epic scale
    Half of Africa is in civil strife
    The Amazonias is under threat
    Global fish stocks are critical
    The Indonesians have just about wiped out the last remaining habitat of the Orangutang etc etc etc

Call me a damp squib all you like, but how can you justify wasting so much energy and so much money chasing a theory when there are so many frikkin problems we need to sort out globally and a perfectly beautiful orb to live on if we were'nt so hell bent on destroying it.
    You can stuff your Hadron Collider and all the disconnected Autistic geeks, dweebs, tuchtas, fakirs, soothsayers nerds and anoraks who work on it. They make me puke with their 'I'm so clever though can't be bothered working towards solutions for real problems' attitude.

Any scientific solutions to the problems you list will, like solutions to problems in the past, be based knowledge acquired by 'autistic geeks' doing research when the ill-informed said 'why are we spending money on that when we have these other problems'.

The more knowledge we have, the more solutions are available to us.
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    Any scientific solutions to the problems you list will, like solutions to problems in the past, be based knowledge acquired by 'autistic geeks' doing research when the ill-informed said 'why are we spending money on that when we have these other problems'.

The more knowledge we have, the more solutions are available to us.

Oh yeah - like nuclear physics was used for peaceful purposes only ?
    Like all the pollutants we produce are not resposible for all the illnesses and cancers?
    Like all the problems globally are not caused by the greed associated with that technology ?

We are so busy looking for the 'cure' and not the prevention or the cause. We won't look at why cancer for example, is caused because there no money in it. Medical research companies are looking for the holy grail of cancer cure because it is going to make them a heap of money.
    Whilst the worlds resources are dwindling, we may never be able to exploit the new technologies as a direct result - take Uranium, oil, radio active coltan which is used in every mobile device going and people in the 3rd world are having deformed babies and dying young because every fokker wants the latest mobile gadget and the end waste product gets palmed off to developing countries.
    The advancement of technology has always been sold on the premise of a better world, unlimited energy etc etc I am still waiting. There is more inequality and famine globally than at any other time in history as there is an intrinsic link between technological advancement and power, exploitation and greed. If only I could put on the rose tinted glasses and pretend blindly that the world is going to be a better place because some plonker thinks he is going to find out how all matter is created. It would be nice to think that the technology created will improve mankind and be the environmental messiah but history has proved that in most cases it definately does not.

The motor car - pollution - carbon dioxide/monoxide producer
    Nuclear fuel
    DDT
    Agent Orange - made by Monsanto, that lovely company that makes round up and is currently being sued to the tune of 22.4B US dollars by the people who made the stuff and got very sick
    GM crops - sold to the 3rd world. Great bumper crop first year. One third for sale, one to eat, one to re-sow. Except the re-sowed crops don't produce any seed and the farmers are locked into an eternal cycle of re-buying or go bankrupt.
    The chemicals that were used in the holocaust and on and on...

The Collider is yankee doodle mentality (YDM) - a cure for all the problems. Just like DDT was. YDM - You are a criminal because you have a dodgy gene ?!? Solution: fix the gene. Not because you have deep social problems which are going to take time and effort to fix. Therein the parody - just like global environmental and energy problems, big problems connected with exploitation and greed that would take huge lifestyle changes to sort out, not a particle collider that 'may' be the solution.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Nurse! increase the dose.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    So I just need to reduce my gravitational charge before I head off to the Alps. Maybe wrap myself in aluminium foil and stick my fingure in the earth socket?
  • pinno
    Term1te wrote:
    So I just need to reduce my gravitational charge before I head off to the Alps. Maybe wrap myself in aluminium foil and stick my fingure in the earth socket?

Please let me know how you get on with that. A word of caution: when you do stick your finger in the socket, don't wear rubber soled shoes or boots - its much better for the electricity to have an outlet and for you to be earthed properly. Alternitavely, connect a jump lead to your todger and the other end to a conductor like the radiator. You may be surprised at what pops up.