Need help buying new brakes

dazz25
dazz25 Posts: 48
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm in need of some new brakes to replace the Shimano M445's currently on my bike. I think i've decided on the Shimano M666 brakes.

I'm going to order from Rose as they seem a lot cheaper than any of the UK websites. As I understand I will need to swap the levers over which means i'll need new olives and inserts. Can anybody point me in the right direction? There seems to be different types available for different diameters of tubing so I need to make sure I buy the correct ones for the brakes.

Also, should I be looking at any other brakes within this price range? I've always liked Shimano as they're easy to work with and bleed etc so instantly looked into the M666's without really looking into any others!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    they come included in the kit from rose. they come in the proper shimano box, no OEM stuff, so its the full kit and come with olives and stuff for bleeding, minus the cone thing, as they figure you'll have to cut the hoses down anyway.
  • dazz25
    Fatastic! Thats gonna help loads.

So all I need to buy is the brakes and the yellow bleeding cone thing!

Cheers for the reply.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is there anything wrong with the ones you have already, are good brakes.
  • dazz25
    I'm having problems with the back brake. I'm not sure if its something wrong with the lever or the caliper but it needs bleeding before every ride. Even after bleeding the lever doesn't feel as good as the front brake and gets progressively worse as i'm riding until it gets to the point where it just doesn't stop me anymore and lever is nearly touching the handlebars. It seems to be letting air in somewhere but cannot figure out where.

I thought I might as well take this opportunity to upgrade.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like knackered seals - they can be replaced, but fiddly, so don't blame you for upgrading.
  • dazz25
    Yeh I thought the same. From what i've read the M666 are a great brake for the money and for what they cost I should get a good few years out of them.