HELP! RS Revelation RL - lower leg removal

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

Trying to get the lower legs off a new set of Revelation RL (2011) to fit a travel spacer and just cannot get the legs to budge. I've emptied the air chambers (negative first), removed the rebound adjuster, loosened the 5mm allen bolt 3-4 turns and using a 10mm spanner loosened the nut to the end of the threaded section. I've been tapping both sides with a rubber mallet (with increaseing force) and they will just not release. Done it before with other forks and they released easily.

Any ideas? I'm stuck and not wanting to hit them too hard at this stage.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the push rods are still not budging when tapping the bolts, then you have to hit them harder I am afraid! Some cn be very stuborn.
  • 101_North
    Cheers :D They released eventually. Really had to whack them! Just wanted to check it was OK before doing it - wouldn't be like me to wreck something through being too ham fisted!

I've installed the spacer between the base plate and the negative piston as instructed. I assumed the 'negative piston top out bumper' was part of the negative piston and so the spacer was installed in the following order - negative piston - top out bumper - spacer - base plate. Sound about right? The diagram in the manual is pretty dire!

Cheers

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, sounds right to me! The spacer clips underneath the air piston head.
  • 101_North
    Great. Thanks for your help :D

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    Can I just ask quick question. Were your forks originally at 150mm before adding the spacer?

I have 2011 Revs on my bike and I would like to increase them from 140 to 150mm. Hopefully that's possible with mine.

Was a fairly easy thing to do, installing the spacer?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • morleyman200
    morleyman200 Posts: 513
    i have revs and mine are at 140, some are, and some are at 150, mine dont have a spacer in, take a look yourself, its easy to do, just undo the bolts, pull the lowers off and using internal snap ring pliers pull the spring out and look :)

when putting back together, make sure parts are lubed up with sram red rum or fox float fluid, and also make sure you replace the oil in the spring and the legs.

Tom