Chain Guide for 1 x 9?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello all

I'm going to do a 1 x 9 setup and was wondering what suggestions you all have for a chain guide? I was thinking of going with a bash guard but not sure what would fit. Was wondering if something like a Blackspire Stinger would do the job.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You need a top guide as well as a lower roller.
    Why a bash? Not needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wilkij1975
    I'm not set on getting a bash. Just wondered if a bash and device was going to be more secure than using an MRP 1x or something like that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Stealth option is a bash and an N-gear jump stop, otherwise if you'r using a pucker chain guide you don't need a bash, the Superstar one comes out well rated as doing the same job as many costing 4 times as much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wilkij1975
    Cheers for the suggestion. I'll look into that. I was wondering how the Hope device for use with a bash would work but for £30 it seems a bit much.