Front fork advice PLEASE HELP

scottellis88
scottellis88 Posts: 42
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I recently purchased a rockshox SID race 100mm travel fork off eBay to fit on my Scott hard tail, everything is great but when I ride my front tyre is moving and rubbing on the inside of the fork. Even with the QR as tight as possible it's still dong this and really making a mess of my forks. It's using a standard QR squewer so I assumed it may be this, but I have no idea... PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE :(:(:(
Norco Saint 2 SE
http://flic.kr/p/cv5koo
Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    could need the wheel trued
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or redished
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I had this problem, and a new shimano QR sorted it. May need trued
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What model and year SID?

New? Used? Serviced? Damaged?

How was it with your old fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • no problem at all with the old fork, thought it just might be a case of the tyre was too wide... but different tyres and still same problem, i dont believe its a case of truing the wheel because when going in a straight line everything is fine, but turn a corner and the tyre rubs on the inside as if its loose :S
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work
  • apparently they was brand new and never been riden, they was taken off a new bike so the guy said, i will copy and paste the info what he put on ebay...

Absolutely Brand New, Taken of a bike that has never been ridden

Travel 100mm
    Weight 1475g (3.25 lbs)
    Damping Motion Control
    Spring Dual Air
    Adjustments External Beginning Stroke Rebound, Low Speed Compression, External Floodgate And Lockout, Spring Via Air Pressure
    Crown Forged, Al 66 Tv Aluminum
    Steerer Aluminum, 1 1/8"
    Upper Tubes 32mm, 7000 Series Straight Wall Aluminum, Low Friction Anodized With Sag Gradients
    Lowers Magnesium, Post Mount Disc Brake With Optional Brake Boss Lower
    Maximum Rotor Size 185 mm
    Steerer 219mm
    Comes with remote pop/push loc
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

• morleyman200
    morleyman200 Posts: 513
    spoke tension could be slightly loose, allowing the rim to move from side to side especially when sideways forces from cornering are exerted on it, give them a check
  • i have done some investigating and apparently this was a common problem for the SIDs it was a case of uneven dropouts on the lowers therefore one was higher than the other causing the wheel to lean. i dont know what to do now, maybe it can be packed out to even the wheel up ? i dont know :(
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    apparently they was brand new and never been riden, they was taken off a new bike

'they were' ;)
    i have done some investigating and apparently this was a common problem for the SIDs it was a case of uneven dropouts on the lowers therefore one was higher than the other causing the wheel to lean.

If the drop outs are uneven then surely the tyre would rub constantly even when going straight. I reckon worn hub bearings or loose cones maybe? There was another thread where a guy had a similar problem when using cheap Hope QR skewers. He changed to a Shimano skewer and problem was solved. Be careful with just tightening the current QR's up as much as they will possibly go as you can do more damage than good.
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    have you tried putting a spirit level in the fork drops out to see if it is them?

also try moving or tapping the spokes they should be tight and make a pinging noise if not then the spokes are loose and the rim is moving

also make sure the seals and the bushings are tight in the fork, try holding the front brake and rocking the bike forwards and back there should be no play
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    TwellySmat wrote:
    a guy had a similar problem when using cheap Hope QR skewers. He changed to a Shimano skewer and problem was solved.
    Cheap, and Hope, are two words that don't belong together, with the explicit exception of "I hope it's cheap". :lol:
  • Twelly
    TwellySmat wrote:
    a guy had a similar problem when using cheap Hope QR skewers. He changed to a Shimano skewer and problem was solved.
    Cheap, and Hope, are two words that don't belong together, with the explicit exception of "I hope it's cheap". :lol:

I know right! But I distinctly remember this thread where everybody was slating Hope QR skewers... Maybe I should have written 'crap' instead of 'cheap'.

Anyhoo... some guy had the same problem, crap skewers were causing it, new skewers fixed it. End of.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    There's your problem then. Crap, and cheap are not the same thing. You can buy expensive crap, or get great things cheap.
  • Twelly
    There's your problem then. Crap, and cheap are not the same thing. You can buy expensive crap, or get great things cheap.

Agreed. I blame the 'r' key and the 'he' key being too close together on the keyboard ;)