Santa Cruz Biur LT build

rocketman76
rocketman76 Posts: 195
edited May 2013 in Your mountain bikes
So my mate has turned into a Yeti fiend, and as a result I have managed to pick up the following from him. Work in progress, but remaining parts have been ordered to get it up and running, then on to constant upgrades...

Will try and post updates as they happen for those interested.

photo-2.jpg

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT - 2009 (i believe) Anodised Black
Forks: Rock Shox Revelation Dual Air 140mm with 9mm QR (black)
Bars: EA50 Monkey Bars (black)
Stem: TBC
Grips: Superstar Supergrippa (black)

Front Brakes: Avid Juicy 7s
Rear Brakes: Avid Juicy 7s

Shifters: SRAM x9s
Front Mech:
Rear Mech: X9

Seat: Charge Spoon (black)
Seat Post: Superstar Simple.. (black)
Seat Post Clamp: Santa Cruz

Cranks: Truvativ Stylo
Cassette: SRAM PG980 9spd
Pedals: Superstar CNC nano Tech Flats (black)

Front Wheel: Superstar Build (stans CZTR Crest with Stealth EVo hubs)
Tyre: Maxxis Ardent 2.4

Back Wheel: Superstar Build (stans CZTR Crest with Stealth EVo hub
Tyre: Maxxis Cross Mark 2.1

Here's the bits
IMG_6331.jpg

Rock Shox Revelation
IMG_6332.jpg

SRAM 11-34T PG980 9spd
IMG_6335.jpg

Easton EA50 Monkey Bars
IMG_6342.jpg

Superstar Pedals
IMG_6344.jpg

Stans ZTR Crest with Superstar Stealth Evo Hubs
IMG_6348.jpg

WIP...
thebuild1.jpg

Comments

• rocketman76
    Few updates.

As with any build still in need of some fiddly bits (Hope head doctor), a few spacers and a QR adaptor, other than that it should hopefully be built up either by the end of the weekend or very early next week..

I can't wait to get out and ride now..
  • rocketman76
    And it's built!

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Coolio...
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    That's cool :wink: .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have an identical frame... its freeekin awesome. I keep looking for something new (Ive had mine a while now) but nothing else I find is as much fun.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    How did you find the ride?

You have a nice build, i just the back flexed to much for my taste when pushed to the edge, but it just eat's miles so comortably.
  • rocketman76
    How did you find the ride?

You have a nice build, i just the back flexed to much for my taste when pushed to the edge, but it just eat's miles so comortably.

Not had a chance to ride it in anger yet (only finished sticking it all together on Sunday morning). Will be out on it this weekend.

It feels a little soft in the rear, but i've come from a hardtail, so it will! I've set the rear shock quite stiff to start with and set the propedal to firm, so we'll see how it goes!!
  • rocketman76
    Thanks for the comments guys, glad you all approve.

I'm pretty pleased with the build and the components. I did it on a fairly tight budget, so there is def room to improve, but as it's my first boing boing (my other bike is a single boing!), i can't wait to get it up the hill, to get it down the other side..

Have to give massive respect to Chain Reaction and Superstar Components for their excellent pricing and rapid delivery on the bits.. And a special mention to Dave Mellor Cycles in Shrewsbury for thankfully having a Hope Head Doctor in stock to allow me to get it built up over the weekend (isn't always the way, that it's some stupid little bit, which holds you up!!)..
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Mine is the most fun bike I have had. It just eggs you on to go faster and play. Its definitely not the most efficient ever, and the frame could be stiffer, especially around the BB area, but its a trade off I guess, and its worth every penny in my opinion. It was described as rider reactive suspension, and I think thats a pretty good way of putting it. It really rewards you for every little pump, pop and berm you rail unlike any other suspension design I've tried.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rocketman76
    Glad to hear it... I'm taking it out for it's first proper ride this weekend (going to throw it down Mynton Batch on the Long Mynd), so fingers crossed nothing falls of it!
  • rocketman76
    First ride out on it today, and I have to say I am VERY impressed. I was dreading a couple of the climbs as they are pretty brutal, but this thing just ate them up. ProPedal is superb!

So it has been up and more importantly it came down through Minton Batch like an absolute dream. The 2.4 Ardent on the front gripped superbly, but never felt like it was slowing me down.

Anyway a pic just before it got properly filthy (Oh and just for good measure one of my stealth machine, next to my mates LIME Yeti!)..

553625_10150688609528239_516973238_8113687_189956073_n.jpg

576769_10150688608883239_516973238_8113685_1098453027_n.jpg
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    It would be ok if the colour wasnt in negative (I like white)

But yup, is a sexy machine mate! im a bit jealous!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • 2 new additions

I removed the outer chainring, and replaced it with a Hope Bash Guard. I did move the derailleur down a bit!
    IMG_6436.jpg

Also just installed this today!.

photo-4.jpg

Can't wait to get it into action!
  • rocketman76
    Few months on and a few tweaks.

Replaced the glitchy SRAM gearing with the much slicker SLX (with XT shifters).

I've gone 2x10 from 3x9, and whilst it took a little getting used to, I am now thoroughly converted.

The dropper was a great addition, and is running brilliantly.

Gone for a shorter RaceFace stem

Also had all the bearings replaced.

IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I like your new changes to your ride and i wondered a while back about going down to 2 chain rings on the crank but i just couldn't get my head round the idea of the change ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Dam0-MSC
    Dam0-MSC Posts: 21
    Nice bike mate, i prefer the 2x10 setup
    Pride and joy
    MSC - Hunter
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452