Contador on Eurosport

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,584
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Am I the only one who thinks that Eurosport's screening of the Contador interview and havin him give punditry was disgraceful?

Surprised by the lack of discussion about it. He is supposed to be banned from all aspects of competitive cycling. Surely this should include the transmission of races!

Comments

• LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Are you seriously suggesting the man can't talk about racing?

I don't find it anything other than quite informative to have an actual pro give some good views on The Giro, Also found it interesting that Scarponi and the Giro organisors still see Bertie as the winner last year even after the ban.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I would imagine it was a pretty galling watch for many clean cyclists. It just seemed really wrong. David Harmon who did the narration tweeted something like "i'm glad that's over".
  • Turfle
    LeePaton wrote:

I don't find it anything other than quite informative to have an actual pro give some good views on The Giro, Also found it interesting that Scarponi and the Giro organisors still see Bertie as the winner last year even after the ban.

He shouldn't be given quite such a prominent platform in which to talk about racing.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Turfle wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

He shouldn't be given quite such a prominent platform in which to talk about racing.

I can see your point but if you can listen to arguably the best cyclist of the moment talk about racing why not?

Not like he's being controversial in anyway.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It was a slightly strange choice for a feature, but didn't really bother me. "Disgraceful" is a bit much. The only interesting bit was Berto saying he's targeting the Worlds this year.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    The only interesting bit was Berto saying he's targeting the Worlds this year.

He might as well. His usual preference is to hang up his cleats at the end of July and I'd image he'll do the same in future. As he'll be racing a lot around then anyway. Is he the best choice for Spain though?

(I thought Eurosport would have been wise not to feature him quite so heavily. Someone like Bettini, for example, would have been more welcome in that role - and not as boring)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:

He might as well. His usual preference is to hang up his cleats at the end of July and I'd image he'll do the same in future. As he'll be racing a lot around then anyway. Is he the best choice for Spain though?

(I thought Eurosport would have been wise not to feature him quite so heavily. Someone like Bettini, for example, would have been more welcome in that role - and not as boring)

Indeed, wheel out Luigi to tell us about clean cycling.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Turfle
    To the (I would guess) majority of viewers today it was a 30 minute puff piece for a drug cheat, during which the new 2011 winner, and the race organiser (well it wasn't our race he failed tests during) both basically said they still view him as winner anyway. It is a pretty poor message to send to fans, clean riders, and future riders.

The more I think about it the more I lean towards "disgrace" rather than "poorly thought out".
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    Indeed, wheel out Luigi to tell us about clean cycling.

He's not currently suspended though, and never has been - regardless of any rumours. Viewers don't see him and think 'doper'. Basically, I was suggesting a recently retired Italian of stature would have been a better choice.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if your kicked out of a sport - what?

do you fade into obscurity, and become a taxi driver, or live off the money you made whilst cheating

or get paid a tv salary and commentate

a man with no sole, there is only 1 choice
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    I find it more offensive that they continue to employ Carlton Kirby
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I seems perfectly appropriate to have someone like Contador on Eurosport, or are we all supposed to buy into the fantasy that people like him constitute 'a few bad apples' and that most of the rest of the peloton are clean?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm cool with it.

As long as it wasn't earmarked for some kind of hero like Tankink beforehand.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I don't know, allowing this seems to just be further evidence of a complete failure of punishment for some riders. The ban is effectively one TdF and a couple of minor races. Everyone still thinks he won the races he clearly did, only the record books dispute that. He continues to work in cycling and around cycling. Teams still court him as a potential recruit. Where's the actual punishment.I must have missed something, like a 2 year ban :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is it just for the opening TT?

I'd prefer he wasnt' on there but don't mind it. I would have thought they could get a better person from a commentating standpoint. I agree with Rich about an Italian pro - maybe Cipo so he can moan about not being taken as a leadout man and Petacchi who could moan about how he would have beaten Cav today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Yeah it was just a pre-recorded interview for before the prologue. Not a running feature or anything.
  • frenchfighter
    Got it, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    agreed - banned riders should not be interviewed unless they want to talk honestly about their situation
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    dave milne wrote:
    agreed - banned riders should not be interviewed unless they want to talk honestly about their situation
    So, a guy who gets banned for not being able to prove contamination, (quite rightly) should only be interviewed to make a confession about what exactly? blood doping? transfusions? How about a bit of trafficking on the side?

He's THE current expert on riding Grand Tours and those contesting the race.
    So many twisted knickers over hearing the guy on Eurosport? Perspective all at sea.

Where is the thread about Mr EPO Richard Virenque, who is employed by Eurosport as a commentator?
    Not to mention SK...............
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    There's a big difference between retired riders, and those who are banned from riding this very race, and who have just had their win revoked for cheating. And this wasn't just him talking about the race, this was a cynical puff piece. He was basically presented as the face of the race, and as an unfairly put upon hero of the people.

It's a ridiculous message to send out.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2012
    It's not really about any morality. Presumably Eurosport want to promote cycling in a positive light to attract new viewers, and new viewers do not have much time for doping, or have much knowledge of the details. So heavily featuring a convicted doper who was stripped of last year's Giro doesn't really show the sport in a positive light. It's a bit like having Fred Goodwin doing bank adverts. To me, it was a bad choice.

(He's also boring).
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Turfle wrote:
    There's a big difference between retired riders, and those who are banned from riding this very race, and who have just had their win revoked for cheating. And this wasn't just him talking about the race, this was a cynical puff piece. He was basically presented as the face of the race, and as an unfairly put upon hero of the people.

It's a ridiculous message to send out.

Take it you havn't seen the Official promo video for the Giro then? Almost half of it is Contador in Pink and on The Podium. Its clear the organisers consider him the 2011 winner, therefor he's getting air time and being presented as the face of the race.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    By all means interview the man, but do not make it the opening 30 minute feature for your coverage of the first GT of the season. It just sends out all the wrong messages to your advertisers, viewers and especially young fans.
  • frenchfighter
    I seems perfectly appropriate to have someone like Contador on Eurosport, or are we all supposed to buy into the fantasy that people like him constitute 'a few bad apples' and that most of the rest of the peloton are clean?

Yes, I'd like to say that 95% are clean.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Sadly I think this is symptomatic of the multiple personality disorder that is our sport at the moment. I would assume that most of us abhor the use of drugs but, knowing the history and culture of cycling, realise it has been part of the peloton since GTs began. Similarly the UCI make the noises then bring Roche on board to moan about jerseys! We have the BOA choosing to write its own laws on doping, then WADA overruling ( for what it's worth I think WADA were right). And now Eurosport giving air time to Contador, which some are fine with others aren't. (It's always interesting that Harmon and SK never really get into the debate.) Whatever, it's a fact that if we don't start singing from the same hymn sheet, no matter that cycling becomes "the new Golf", cycling will continue to lose what credibility it has;forget spitting in the soup, we need a new menu. Talking of which, I'm off out en famille and have set sky+ for the Giro!
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I have to say i agree with the OP. It was as if nothing had happened, with both Eurosport and the Giro organisers lauding Contador as a hard done to peoples' champion. Whether or not you agree with how the case was handled he has been found guilty of doping offences, sanctioned and stripped of his titles. To see him there perpetuates the idea that within cycling the only thing wrong with cheating is getting caught.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Turfle wrote:
    just had their win revoked for cheating.
    He didn't have his wins revoked for cheating, he had them revoked for failing to prove that he didn't cheat.

Furthermore, if you believe the UCI/WADA's case (the basis of the CAS ruling on the ban) the balance of probability is that he didn't cheat, he was the victim of a contaminated supplement.

It really pisses me off that so many people are illogical/inconsistent on this.

If you think UCI/WADA's interpretation was wrong and that he probably did cheat, say so explicitly and back it up.

If not, don't call him a cheat and claim that that's what the CAS ruling implies.
  • Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    My respect for Contador has evaporated as a consequence of his ban, when I saw him being interviewed I was mystified, why would them put him up there when he has broken the rules and brought the sport into disrepute? Crazy.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format