Chain Device Giant Reign 2

chazkayak
chazkayak Posts: 193
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Im looking to convert my triple chain ring to double and want to ad a chain device and bash guard.
Questions:
1. What sort of chain device should I use, the frame has no fittings for a device and the granny ring sits over the BB.

2. When converting to double rings, should I get a larger granny and middle ring to compensate for the lack of outer ring?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What cranks?

What width BB?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Erm...dunno, didnt think to look.

Copied from website = Shimano M542, 22/32/44 crank and Shimano Press Fit dont know dimensions etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need for a chain device when running a double, but you can if you want to.....

Gearing, depends on what you want (what do you use now)? I went from 22/32/42 to 26/36 on the basis I rarely used the top gear and bottom two gears of the full 27 (3x9) I had, so this amply covers the middle range I did use!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.