Old chestnut - no need to reply just having a rant

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I HATE BELLS ON BIKES

They strike me as such an arrogant, get out of my way you're not important enough to talk to thing.

Part of my enjoyment of 2 wheels is being part of the world, not cocooned away from it, and being able to speak to my fellow human beings.

Don't take this personally but if you choose to ding at me when you could just as easily speak then I shall quietly regard you as a tw*t.

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    DING DING!! :twisted:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I HATE BELL-ENDS ON BIKES :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Funny you should mention this.

I have just put a bell on my touring bike. A proper old fashioned bell, thats on a ratchet that goes ring ring, one from Holland, not one of those bells that go ding ding that is on a spring that is about as much use melted Lego. I will use it sparingly and in emergencies only when I go on my canal path tour next month.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    byke68 wrote:

leslie-phillips.jpg

DING DONG, surely? 8)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

leslie-phillips.jpg

DING DONG, surely? 8)

Only at ladies in lycra shorts or short skirts................ :)
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    What I hate is if on a shared path with the kids I say "Excuse me" politely if I want to pass someone and they tut and tell me I should get a bell. Is haring up behind them going ding ding better than slowing down and asking politely? If I rang a bell I'm sure the same idiots would tut and tell me I should just ask politely.
    I'm trying to teach the kids good manners, but some people really do make it hard.
  • p9uma
    The bell is for safety, everyone's. Most folk don't hear or listen when you call out, some can't hear ' cos they're dawdling about with their iphonepodderympthreeGingummy in their ears. Everyone, including pedestrians, has responsibility to everyone else' safety. I wonder why no one to takes responsibility for themselves anymore. ( this is a rhetorical question)
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    p9uma wrote:
    The bell is for safety, everyone's. Most folk don't hear or listen when you call out, some can't hear ' cos they're dawdling about with their iphonepodderympthreeGingummy in their ears. Everyone, including pedestrians, has responsibility to everyone else' safety. I wonder why no one to takes responsibility for themselves anymore. ( this is a rhetorical question)

I just can't resist answering rhetorical questions, can I?

no one to takes responsibility for themselves anymore and IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT, DON'T BLAME THEM, QUICK FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO BLAME! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It's MY fault.
  • p9uma
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

no one to takes responsibility for themselves anymore and IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT, DON'T BLAME THEM, QUICK FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO BLAME! :D

Indeed.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I keep forgetting to fit a bell to my commuter, on the cycle paths around Edinburgh it is needed. I don't take any umbridge to someone ting tinging behind me I woudl rather know they are coming than not. The kids bikes have bells and they use them never had an adverse reaction. I know someone who has a rubber chicken that makes a sort of chicken noise (ish) on his bikes, a bit different I suppose, but no one has ever been fowl to him about it..
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    team47b wrote:

Nice one. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nweststeyn wrote:
    It's MY fault.
    I blame Wiggle
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I have had a bloke have a go at me for ringing my bell as I came down a bridle path...said I scared him to death or such like.
    On the other hand whenever I've called out to people I've never had an issue. I think as long as the warning is far enough in advance it gives them time to realise what is actually happening. It's surprising how many people walk along in some kind of dream world :D

My kids, on the other hand use their bells as some kind of rambler scattering device...by the time the peds realise, the little menaces are upon them and through the other side :twisted: Then it's my job to apologise as I pass by behind. (I must try harder to teach them the proper way of doing things :D )
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits