Deore Bottom Bracket

chrisga
chrisga Posts: 587
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Not sure if this is the right place for this or if it should be in workshop, but i bought a deore HT2 bottom bracket off ebay and the seller sent a BB4600 which says road on the cups. A bit of googling and I think this is a tiagra bottom bracket. Is there in reality any difference between the two? If I install the bottom bracket my mountain bike won't sprout drop handlebars overnight will it? The only thing I can think that might be different might be better seals on an mtb bottom bracket but in reality are they actually the same?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The seals will be roughly the same. The usual difference is longer threads so devices can be attached.

Btw they are 13 pound on Merlin.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing will happen to your bike, but your legs will be lovely and smooth.
    As far as I know the only difference is that the road one has a shorter thread so won't go into the BB shell as far.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty sure the road BBs do not have the same thread depth, ie do not thread in as far and are not designed to be used with spacers with their cranksets. So using this on an MTB with spacers and the BB may not thread in enough. I'd send it back and get the real deal.
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    While im only putting it on a 68mm shell depth with no other fittings it does need two spacers drive side so am about to take it back and swap it for the mtb deore one. Seller only lives round the corner and the deore was only £10 brand new, no postage. Just he dropped the wrong one round.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    While we're on the topic (and the problem is sorted) what are everyone's views on the shimano Deore chainset and hollow tech bb? It's to replace a truvativ square taper something or other that's developed a lot of play. Will the bb be easy enough to replace? What tools are needed? I can press in the new external bb with a homemade headset press
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The external HT2 BBs screw in - it will fit, and comes with spacers for 68/73mm shells. You will need a HT2 tool and preload tool.

Very good value.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll want to get the BB shell on the frame faced, many made for traditional BB's have the face not square enough and if this means the bearings run out of true they don't last long, budget about £20 at your LBS.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Thanks SS and TheBeginner, not sure where I heard they had to be pressed in, may have been something else! I think I may have a hollowtech tool in my tool kit. £52 posted on rose bikes so its hard to refuse!