Do aero frames make a difference??

Dave_P1
Dave_P1 Posts: 565
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I've noticed a lot of vids / articles on the net where x manufacture makes statements about a particular bike / frame being a lot more aerodynamic than another, and I was wondering if you can tell the difference when swapping frames? I'm talking normal road bikes here not TT bikes.
For example, I own a Cannondale Supersix, if I swapped my frame for the Supersix Evo and kept the rest of the kit the same would you be able to tell the difference?
You could apply the example to any frame I suppose, Specialzied S-Works Venge or a Dogma 2??

I'm new to the road cycling world but not cycling itself so this topic has got me wondering.....

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Do they make a difference, in the lab maybe, doubt you can feel it on the road. It's the bag of flesh and bones on the saddle that is the problem as far as wind resistance goes.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Yes they definitely make a difference. But can you feel a 5W improvement? Most cant. Does 0.1-0.2 mph matter to you? It does not to me as I tent to run at pack pace, but it does save you a bit of energy over a long race/ride for the same speed.
    Is it worth £2000 for a Crevelo S2 for example? Well that depends if you can afford £2k and will enjoy knowing the frame is 'better' technically.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Short answer no. Long answer, yes, maybe, depends on lots of factors. There are other changes (position especially) that can give you speed at far less cost.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Differences will be minuscule. The surface area of the bike hitting the wind is nothing compared to your body (no offense :lol: )
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Presumably its a bit like shaving your legs for that little bit extra speed... :lol:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    When I bought my power meter I tried changing from the hoods to the drops to see how much difference it made, holding the same speed (20mph). It made about 20-40W. Can you feel that? If you can, then you'll likely notice the difference in a more aero bike. Otherwise, like me, worry more about the amount of power you can produce.

If you've already got some decent wheels and you're riding TT's, racing over a serious distance or riding long sportives and going for a decent time (i.e. trying to average over 18mph), then the extra level of freshness that saving 5-10w over a the distance will make a difference. Otherwise, save the pennies for more beneficial upgrades.

Of course, if its a hot looking bike and you want to drop the cash on a sweet ride, then ignore the above.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • majormantra
    TheFD wrote:
    Presumably its a bit like shaving your legs for that little bit extra speed... :lol:

Roadies do not shave for speed.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    I have often wondered about a similar issue, but have taken it to the extreme, if you combined every power saving offered by "better" equipment would the savings in energy equaly 100%, and if so then what happens? Is this a perpetual motion machine?
  • majormantra
    liquor box wrote:
    I have often wondered about a similar issue, but have taken it to the extreme, if you combined every power saving offered by "better" equipment would the savings in energy equaly 100%, and if so then what happens? Is this a perpetual motion machine?

As long as you have volume and surface area, there is drag. As long as you have mass, it takes energy to move you.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I think the diference between an aero and non aero frame is about the same as between a Super Six and Super Six Evo.
  • Dave_P1
    Some interesting thoughts on this topic. Perhaps it's down to the little things then, a more aero frame, with a few lighter bits, light / aero wheels and then it all adds up to make a bigger difference.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Its not going to be the difference between being a fast rider and not being a fast rider, to get the most from it you ideally want to be of a decent standard already and it will give you that little bit more.

I still maintain the bigest difference I've noticed between my work hack (alu/carbon bike with 105, Kysriums etc) and my race bike (Cervelo S2, zipps etc) is the tyres and wheels. Tyres I think are a huge thing.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Dave_P1
    I've often wondered how good my tyres are compared to others. I currently run Schwalbe Lugano tyres and I've got no idea how they compare to anything else on the market.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    TheFD wrote:

Roadies do not shave for speed.
    No they wear tight fitting shiny clothes instead
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    I've often wondered how good my tyres are compared to others. I currently run Schwalbe Lugano tyres and I've got no idea how they compare to anything else on the market.

They make a big difference IMHO. I've been using training tyres since I started riding again (Luganos, Gatorskins etc.) and just switched to Pro Race 3's with a lighter tube - the difference is really noticeable. I suspect you will gain far more as a beginner than you would from an aero frame at a fraction of the cost (especially if you also get some lightweight wheels). For me, unless you are racing at a pretty high level and have got all the other aero factors sorted out such as position, good fitting clothing, then aero frames are an expensive luxury.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Dave_P1 wrote:

I've just switched the Luganos on my Synapse to some Michelin Krylions. Couldn't believe the difference. On my first ride in the bucketing rain I set two PBs on Strava including a KOM on a sharp local hill that was more akin to a waterfall. Second ride, I took over three minutes off my PB on a 15 mile loop. The feeling and handling of the bike was transformed.

Change the tyres first and then see how you feel about what is already a fantastic bike (I'm besotted with the Liquigas colours :) )
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Some interesting thoughts on this topic. Perhaps it's down to the little things then, a more aero frame, with a few lighter bits, light / aero wheels and then it all adds up to make a bigger difference.

I stumbled across this superb bit of exhaustive research a while back whilst looking for tyre for my new wheels... http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old ... g_rev9.pdf
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    krylions are good tyres.