Intrepid RC24 Alloy Clincher Wheelset

comsense
comsense Posts: 245
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Anyone got these and if so what do you think?

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... pid22.html

Comments

• rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    they sound to good to be true, less than 1500grams and a free set of ultremo tyres for £170? I'll have some self at that price!
  • whosthedaddy
    whosthedaddy Posts: 136
    I have a set on the way
    Will let you know when I get them
  • comsense
    I have a set on the way
    Will let you know when I get them
    Thanks for that.
    I can't find a good or bad word about them anywhere.
  • rowlers
    just had a reply back from cycle division [very prompt!] They are handbuilt on Intrepids [apparently an established Taiwanese manufacturer?] own branded rims and hubs. Hubs are Japanese sealed cartridge bearings. Spokes are Sapim Laser. Weight is confirmed as accurate +/- 20gs.
    Hope this is of use to someone.
  • comsense
    Rowlers,
    thanks for that. I should have also mentioned that I got a very quick reply to my own question regarding campag compatibility. Based on your post I've placed the order!
    Odd theres no one using them though.
  • rowlers
    I'm going for it too! Too good to miss out on. Sell my own wheels and the free tires and I've nearly paid for them anyway!
  • rowlers
    If anyone is interested, I received these today, ordered on saturday, not bad with the Bank Hol!
    Anyways, really nicely finished, weight is ~1550 actual weight on my scales. All spokes evenly tensioned. Rims run perfectly true. Came with skewers (~110g for pair) and rim tapes.
    I'd say a bargain if ever there was one.
  • whosthedaddy
    whosthedaddy Posts: 136
    rowlers wrote:
    If anyone is interested, I received these today, ordered on saturday, not bad with the Bank Hol!
    Anyways, really nicely finished, weight is ~1550 actual weight on my scales. All spokes evenly tensioned. Rims run perfectly true. Came with skewers (~110g for pair) and rim tapes.
    I'd say a bargain if ever there was one.

+1, :D
    Mine arrived today too. Good looking wheels and really pleased for the price
  • comsense
    Sounds great, thanks both of you for replying. Mine were despatched but I'm in Ireland so won't get them until after the weekend.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I don't want to be a downer, but any wheelset with 28 spokes, a decent light rim and Sapim Laser will weigh about 1500 grams.
    I routinely build Open PRO with Novatec light hubs at 1580 grams, that with stronger spokes, with the Laser they would come lower than the 1550 grams these weigh on the scale.
    What I am saying is that the price is good, if they are well built they are a bargain (especially with tyres included), but there is no miracle... it's the standard weight of a set built with laser spokes.

Personally I have stopped using Laser and DT revolution spokes (any 2.0/1.5/2.0 DB spoke) as they build very flexy wheels and tend to come loose and break far too easy to make them into a reliable set. They are OK for riders under 70 Kg and not particularly powerful up the hills
    left the forum March 2023
  • rowlers
    I don't want to be a downer, but any wheelset with 28 spokes, a decent light rim and Sapim Laser will weigh about 1500 grams.
    I routinely build Open PRO with Novatec light hubs at 1580 grams, that with stronger spokes, with the Laser they would come lower than the 1550 grams these weigh on the scale.
    What I am saying is that the price is good, if they are well built they are a bargain (especially with tyres included), but there is no miracle... it's the standard weight of a set built with laser spokes.

Personally I have stopped using Laser and DT revolution spokes (any 2.0/1.5/2.0 DB spoke) as they build very flexy wheels and tend to come loose and break far too easy to make them into a reliable set. They are OK for riders under 70 Kg and not particularly powerful up the hills
    Yeh agree, looked into building my own with Open pros, Zenith hubs and ACI DB spokes and these came in at approx 1600g, but cost more than the intrepids in parts. And I got £60 set of tyres with them!
  • bajabiker
    bajabiker Posts: 2
    Hi folks

As you've probably already noticed, Bikeradar now have a review of the Trigon RC 11 road bike, which included a set of the RC24 wheels. Quote:

'The handbuilt Intrepid RC24 wheels are – like the bike itself – a very good weight for the price (2,400g with tyres and tubes, 1,860g without) and run smoothly. They’re paired with Schwalbe’s Ultremo ZX tyres, some of our favourite racing rubber.'

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 1-12-45682

I took a chance on this wheelset and received it yesterday. Wheels are very light, run true, look good and are a 'noticeable' upgrade on the stock P-R2s that came on my Giant TCR 2011 Comp.

Hope this is useful. :wink:
  • comsense
    They arrived yesterday, to Ireland, after ordering Sat (bank holiday weekend). Thats quality service.
    As others have noted they appear to be high quality rims and hubs, run smoothly and true with even spoke tension.
    For perspective, I currently weigh 82 Kgs, am 50 years old and I am an experienced club/sportive rider with a small amount of racing experience in my past. I have built probably about 10 pairs of wheels including a pair of open pros I currently use.
    Rode for an hour yesterday on the RC24s but it was in heavy rain and I didn't push it on corners and wasn't on hills.
    Today I rode 50kms including one 2 km hill and several short hard hill efforts. I gave the wheels as hard a time as I could. On the short hills I tried to flex them, and couldn't notice flex, with out of the saddle efforts. I couldn't find any flex cornering either. A personal failing is descending and I was nervous in gusting crosswinds downhill on these compared to my 32 spoke Ambrosia & 25mm lithions. As expected they are far harsher than my 32 spoke wheelsets - not sure I'd be doing long spins on them ( but bear in mind I usually use 25c tyres compared to these 23c - I'd expect this to make a big difference). They accelerate NOTICEABLY quicker than my open pros or ambrosias and I certainly found short "power" hill efforts producing surprisingly higher speeds. They seem to do everything you'd expect a light set of wheels to do. Braking surface is certainly adequate and performed well in the rain.It would be interesting to get impressions from someone who can sprint or who is a bit "spirited" in their cornering and descending - if anyone could post their thoughts I'd be very interested?
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I ordered these yesterday for my teenage son's bike and they arrived today!

They are VERY bling "in the flesh" - they will match his bike nicely, but I'm sure white rims with red and black decals, red hubs and red nipples might not appeal to everybody.

The spokes are very delicate - my son is WELL below 70kg so I am relaxed, but if I'd bought them for myself, I would be a bit anxious about the effect of my 80kg over Northern potholes.

With those two caveats...what a fantastic bargain. £60 of top-quality tyres included, so I've paid £110 for the wheels and they look to be worth two or three times that. They are true and the hubs spin very smooth, and the finish is great (really smooth seam on the rim, for example). The QR's look excellent. They came well packed in a really sturdy wheel box...everything seems pukka.

If they collapse or go out of true when he rides them then I'll feel a berk for posting this so prematurely (but rest assured I'll be back to tell you). For now...I'm feeling pretty damn moneysupermarketdotcom.
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    I am very tempted by this offer, only thing putting me off is the colour. Not sure how they would look with a black/grey frame. Can anyone post any pics as I have only seen them on a matching frame.
  • rowlers
    edited May 2012
    IMG_20120509_180830.jpg
    See if the link works (I'm using my phone!)
  • eyebee
    See if the link works (I'm using my phone!)

no luck with the link.
  • eyebee
    Thanks,
    Nice looking bike and a good match, just not sure if they'd go with an all black/grey frame (09 Defy 1).
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i'm very tempted by this deal, just a bit nervous about the lack of reviews etc on the internet! so this thread is great, the more I hear the more i think i'm going to go for it!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rowlers
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i'm very tempted by this deal, just a bit nervous about the lack of reviews etc on the internet! so this thread is great, the more I hear the more i think i'm going to go for it!
    I don't think you can loose! I've sold my old wheels and the free tyres (over £100!) so they have cost me £50! I guess if your a heavy weight you may have issues (I'm 80Kg), but then you would with any lightweight wheel set.
  • plumpy
    My son has ridden them now, couple of good long runs in the Dales.

Interesting that BikeRadar's mention of the wheels, as fitted to the Trigon they tested, quotes 1860gm rather than the 1485gm claimed for the wheelset. I wonder if complete bikes are being sold (perhaps sensibly...) with a version which has meatier spokes? My scales show 1500gm with rim tape fitted (bright red "Intrepid" branded rim tape!) but without QR's.

The front is just slightly off true, only a millimetre or so but discernible. The back is true. The hubs run really, really smooth. The freehub is noisy, we're not talking Hope, but a bit louder than my Mavics. The rims have a very nice finish and braking is reliable and knock-free. Tyres went on easily.

My son didn't notice any flex (and certainly no brake rub) when climbing OOTS but then he's so light, that's probably not a guarantee of anything.

Still very pleased overall, although the front will need a bit of time with the spoke key - I'll wait a few more rides to give them time to thoroughly settle in. My son is very chuffed with (a) the 400gm weight difference from his previous wheels, (b) the noticeably better hub quality, and (c) BLING BLING!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    plumpy wrote:
    My son has ridden them now, couple of good long runs in the Dales.

Interesting that BikeRadar's mention of the wheels, as fitted to the Trigon they tested, quotes 1860gm rather than the 1485gm claimed for the wheelset. I wonder if complete bikes are being sold (perhaps sensibly...) with a version which has meatier spokes? My scales show 1500gm with rim tape fitted (bright red "Intrepid" branded rim tape!) but without QR's.

The front is just slightly off true, only a millimetre or so but discernible. The back is true. The hubs run really, really smooth. The freehub is noisy, we're not talking Hope, but a bit louder than my Mavics. The rims have a very nice finish and braking is reliable and knock-free. Tyres went on easily.

My son didn't notice any flex (and certainly no brake rub) when climbing OOTS but then he's so light, that's probably not a guarantee of anything.

Still very pleased overall, although the front will need a bit of time with the spoke key - I'll wait a few more rides to give them time to thoroughly settle in. My son is very chuffed with (a) the 400gm weight difference from his previous wheels, (b) the noticeably better hub quality, and (c) BLING BLING!

A good total lateral offset is 0.2 mm; a decent one (done by naked eye) is 0.4 mm, a wheel which is 1 mm out of true is unacceptable.
    A front wheel going out of true is either a massive pothole/crash or a very badly built wheel
    left the forum March 2023
  • comsense
    plumpy wrote:
    The front is just slightly off true, only a millimetre or so but discernible. The back is true. The hubs run really, really smooth. The freehub is noisy, we're not talking Hope, but a bit louder than my Mavics.
    Out of true from the box or after riding?
    Mine were true and remain so after five days on rough roads under my 82 kgs. There hasn't been any "sounds" of spokes "settling" - they seem to just get on with their business without fuss. Regarding the freewheel noise - yes they sound real loud in your hand without tyres etc but I don't notice the noise on the road?
    plumpy wrote:
    I haven't managed to rub the brake blocks despite my best efforts. Have decided to get a heavy and strong mate to give them a try at earliest op. I'm keen to find out if a :twisted: bike handler finds any weakness....

Anyone else got out on them yet? How'd you find them? Regarding my earlier comments about my personal nervousness on descent, I've now had them up to 62kph in serious gusts and getting used to the difference between their handling and what I am used to.
  • plumpy
    Sorry should have made clear - very slightly out of true, out of the box. Can't certify what fraction of a millimetre is involved. Didn't get worse when ridden, but needs truing.

Noise not an issue for us, but if you particularly dislike freehub noise, they're louder than some.
  • Grimez71
    Grimez71 Posts: 2
    I bought some RC24's a couple of months ago. Been really pleased with them so far - a big upgrade to the stock wheels on my Allez, and they do seem to be a real bargain. Mine came with the "free" tyres which are also excellent. I'm about 85KG and they have been great. I was a little nervous when I ordered given they are relatively unknown, however I'm delighted I did. PS wasn't sure I'd like the looks, but I needn't have worried - I've had a number for comments about how good they look on my silver frame.
  • plumpy
    For the benefit of anyone considering these wheels who has googled this thread, I thought I should come clean and admit that my son has stopped using them. Even though he is less than 70kg they have not coped with Yorkshire tarmac, they have needed truing twice and now they have gone out of true again. Not the bargain they appeared...
  • rowlers
    plumpy wrote:
    For the benefit of anyone considering these wheels who has googled this thread, I thought I should come clean and admit that my son has stopped using them. Even though he is less than 70kg they have not coped with Yorkshire tarmac, they have needed truing twice and now they have gone out of true again. Not the bargain they appeared...
    I have trued the front once on my set, back is still running true. I don't think we can complain too much given the price. :)
    Im still happy enough with mine, although my new frame deserves a much better set of wheels.
  • Mine are still going strong... Raced on them, Trained on them and even Commute.. Im not lightweight at 90kg either.. For the money im well happy with them... (did take off the nasty stickers tho!)

B
  • bajabiker
    bajabiker Posts: 2
    Quick update. Have been using this wheelset for over a year now for regular 30 to 60 mile rides. Still brilliantly true as the day they came out of the box. I weigh 91 kg. Have ridden appalingly paved, potholed roads, fast downhills on bends, including Scottish Highlands, plus regular traverses of the Campsie Fells (the descent down into Fintry is like corrugated iron!). No issues at all with the hubs either.