Shimano Shifter & Derailleur Compatibility

whitemanwalking
whitemanwalking Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this should be in the MTB or road forum as it involves parts from both, but mostly MTB parts. If this is in the wrong place, I'll be happy to change it.

Okay, so I am currently choosing parts for a summer bike build and I've come across some problems regarding the shifting. I've got a Surly Cross Check frame, so it can be built up into almost anything. Most of the time it will be used on the roads, so I'd like a double chain ring at the front - 53t/39t. However, I also want the option of lower gearing, but not too low (no granny ring) so I thought I'd go for something like a 10-speed 11t-32t MTB cassette in the rear.

Of course, I'll need a road front derailleur and a MTB rear one. I would also like to use a flat bar. I've read elsewhere that Shimano make a front derailleur specifically for flat bar shifting and the model I need would be the Shimano FD-R770 for a 2x10 set-up. The Shimano site also states that this derailleur must be used with the Shimano Ultegra SL-F770 shifters.

But, where does this leave me with the rear derailleur?

Although the SL-770 shifters say they're compatible with 10-speed cassettes, is this only road cassettes? The only 10-speed MTB derailleurs on sale seem to all be using 'dyna-sys technology' (except the XTR models) which is apparently only compatible with other dyna-sys products. To contratict this, I've also read that all the 10-speed shifters Shimano make are compatible with each other, and that regular Shimano MTB shifters actually work just fine with the FD-R770. Could anybody conform this?

From what I understand, for this to work, I would need a full dyna-sys set-up for the back end (cassette, derailleur and shifter) with an FD-R770 derailleur and a SL-F770 shifter for the front. This bothers me a little aesthetically simply because one shifter is totally black and the other is grey and silver. The price of the SL-F770s bother me too. They cost a bomb compared to indexed MTB shifter and I might only be using one.

I've also considered 'thumbies'. Namely Paul's Thumbies, until I realised that £40 only bought you a mount and the actual shifting part has to be bought separately, bringing the total cost right up.

Perhaps someone could steer me towards some other product I've not come across, or just some information that settles this a little. I guess what I'm really asking is...

Can I use a set of Shimano 2x10 MTB shifters with the FD-R770 derailleur? (despite this dyna-sys buisness)

Can I use the SL-F770 shifters with a 10-speed Shimano MTB rear derailleur and cassette?

Thanks!

Comments