The DT: "Cycling is the New Golf"

mercsport
mercsport Posts: 664
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Apparently, according to the Daily Telegraph this morning: http://goo.gl/7L8JE

I had wondered where all these types were coming from nowadays.
"Lick My Decals Off, Baby"

Comments

• freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    Regarding a Mr. Smiths comment in the article about Armstrong's book "It's not about the bike" shows he has not read it or is somewhat insensitive . Of course it's not about the bike more about a fight against big C. in this respect more power to Lance's cause.
  • mercsport
    Regarding a Mr. Smiths comment in the article about Armstrong's book "It's not about the bike" shows he has not read it or is somewhat insensitive . Of course it's not about the bike more about a fight against big C. in this respect more power to Lance's cause.

Actually I read that line, as an oblique way of saying that 'city types' are still the wondrously shallow beasts of legend, and that fabulously expensive bikes might have replaced Porsches and the like as emblems of wealth. That is, of course additional to their Porsches and swinging their irons and putters about the greens and fairways of Britain.

Or maybe not. :?

Freddie Grubb: The name of the first bike I really lusted after, long ago. What a name! :D
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Upon reading the article my first thought was.....

"When the fookin' hell was Lawrence Dallaglio knighted??!!"
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    I actually had a grubb frame in the" fifties" it was I believe made by holdsworth & was an upgrade from my halford bought raleigh. I paid £12- 19 & 11pence for it & it was coloured gunmetal gray. Mafac centre pulls with wiennman levers ,campag 10 with h/bar control levers . Surprising what you could save for with money from your paper round, I think i could have ridden the Tour but the boss wouldn't give me the time off.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023

True, he probably hasn't read the book. But on the other hand his breezy comment is no more insensitive than Robert Penn's title to his book about building his dream road bike and its cheeky play on the title of Lance's book. Because Lance is who he is, his book and its counter-intuitive title has become a cultural reference point. That's all.
  • Dancing Bear
    Dancing Bear Posts: 185
    that would explain the garmin team colours and pattern then !! and if cycling is the new golf, do we all need to show up to training and club days in rep's BMWs and old man sports cars like a jag XK?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Don't ask me why but I watched that Piers Morgan tw@t life stories interview that other tw@t Alan Sugar. At one point they both were at a Bike shop in Florida where the two of them got furnished with two Pinarellos and went glass cranking in the sun.
    Here were these two tw@ts on 2 top quality machines and bear trap pedals, looking like the preverbial frogs on matchboxes !!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mercsport
    I actually had a grubb frame in the" fifties" it was I believe made by holdsworth & was an upgrade from my halford bought raleigh. I paid £12- 19 & 11pence for it & it was coloured gunmetal gray. Mafac centre pulls with wiennman levers ,campag 10 with h/bar control levers . Surprising what you could save for with money from your paper round, I think i could have ridden the Tour but the boss wouldn't give me the time off.

OT, but - Excellent! The Grubb that my chum had and I envied was pink - PINK! The rest of the kit you mention I eventually, piecemeal, procured and dressed my Raleigh with. I never did get to have a Grubb as trying my best to look like a 'Ted', smoking and girls got in the way. I always pictured Grubb in my imaginings as a super cool, super fit 'Ted', could play the piano like Jerry Lee Lewis (with that moniker he had to be a rocker), and knock off a century on the Sunday after, that is, a gruelling Saturday night sluicing his gut with twenty pints of bitter and head-butting a few coppers on the way home.

Such are imaginings. Fact is, Freddie was a very singular chap, as I have since learned: http://goo.gl/2Rp2f AD 1900 - 100 miles - less than five hours! And so on. Were he to be around today I'd suppose we'd be reading about him everyday.

Now, what was the topic again? :oops: Oh, ..golf! :(