bike fitting

gixxermatt
gixxermatt Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
hey peeps, thinking about having a bike fitting at local bike shop, its around 60 quid, is it worth it? cheers matt

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    gixxermatt wrote:
    hey peeps, thinking about having a bike fitting at local bike shop, its around 60 quid, is it worth it? cheers matt

Have you already got a bike, apart from a Suzuki that is? Are you about to buy one? I'm not sure about fittings but I think if you haven't got a bike it may be better and more fun to go and ride a few and see what you like best, good bike shops should set you up properly on each one before you ride it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • gixxermatt
    yeh got a merida, do around 50 miles/week in evenings, just wana see if i can improve my riding position
  • p9uma
    gixxermatt wrote:
    yeh got a merida, do around 50 miles/week in evenings, just wana see if i can improve my riding position

Presumably it's a road bike you may well benefit from a fitting and getting it set up properly, are you having any particular issues with it? There are plenty of resources online that may help you set the bike up yourself, thereby saving you a few queens.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • gixxermatt
    yh its proper rd bike , not really many probs just thought someone who knows what they upto might help abit :) hate spendin tho
  • p9uma
    gixxermatt wrote:
    yh its proper rd bike , not really many probs just thought someone who knows what they upto might help abit :) hate spendin tho

Did you buy it from a bike shop or online? If you got from a bike shop take it back there, they might be able to help you set it up better free of charge.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    gixxermatt wrote:

My bike fit was worth it -> mainly for the cleat positioning.

It obviously depends how good the fitter is though.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You'd be much better off naming the bike shop and person who will do the fit and the fit system they use if they use any, then ask if anyone here has used them before.

Asking if a £60 bike fit is worth it is like asking if a car is worth £500 without telling us the make model and year. £60 is a bargin for a fit, they are normally more like £180, but then it depends on what you get and by who.
  • gixxermatt
    i got the bike, a Merida road race 903 last year from a small bike shop near me, they set it up roughly as i wanted it but wondered if a fine tune would be in order, was in another independent cycle shop near me other day run by a pro racer and very clued up on it all, he said he would give everything a look over with me on it for £60 so just wondered peoples opinions
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    There are fits and fits. £40-60 is typical for a basic taking of measurements and feeding it into a computer, and maybe some basic tweaking. You may be able to do this yourself using the Competitive Cyclist calculator (google it) but it can be helpful to get looked at by somebody else. The skill of fitters is very variable though.

A full pro fit that looks at cleat positioning, knee tracking etc. is likely to be be much more expensive.

If you are reasonably comfortable at the moment I probably wouldn't bother but I would get a fit if you decide you want to buy a new bike.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    A lot of people seem to recommend that Competitive Cyclist calculator, but it tells me I should be riding a bike about 2 sizes bigger, which really isn't comfortable for me :/
    I'd be interested in having a pro bike fit but if at the end of the day the "correct" measurements aren't comfortable then what's the point?