Wheels Advice?

386ka
386ka Posts: 479
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am looking for wheels upgrade for my Trance x3, it has Mavic 117 + Shimano 475 rear hub/Giant tracker 15 mm front hub. I weigh about 70kgs (without equipment), but sometimes I ride it hard, so something that will suit more HC cross country riding..
The reason I want to upgrade is that I want to shed some weight off my bike, and also, get some more stiffness from the wheels. Also, I don't like the 17mm internal width of the Mavics, so I am looking for 19 minimum.

I have one wheelset ATM on my mind, and it could be bought for 220 eur (incl. shipping and vat, note my address)
http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect ... d-power-xl
Have you got any reviews on them? Would they be strong enough?

Also, wheel building is pretty cheap here, so you may recommend good rims + rear hub for the task?

My budget is around the 230eur mark.

Cheers.
A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Decent wheels for the money, did pretty well in an MBUK review.

But look at the Superstar Switch/Crest combo at 1650g and £220.
  • 386ka
    I can't find the review, in what edition of MBUK?

Ps, I will look at the Superstar deal, but it seems a bit off budget for me..
  • supersonic
    The one not on sale yet lol! I got it through subs.
  • teddertj
    teddertj Posts: 14
    Ive just got my copy today they had a great review. Its changed my mind on gettin some.mavics lol.
  • 386ka
    I should then wait and see the review. Anyway, they have 24 straight pull spokes - am I sacrificing on strength here? I am not planning on buying weaker wheels, only stronger and lighter relative to my current setup. Would these be a good upgrade step, would the difference be noticeable?
    Cheers :)
  • supersonic
    They seem strong enough, thoug 32 spoke set ups are stiffer. But if you really want to do the 'as strong, lighter' thing then you need to spend more to make a significant difference.
  • 386ka
    supersonic wrote:
    They seem strong enough, thoug 32 spoke set ups are stiffer. But if you really want to do the 'as strong, lighter' thing then you need to spend more to make a significant difference.
    Well, then again, I may be wanting too much for the money. Would they be a general improvement? And what would you recommend to do? I am off doing some weight measuring of my current wheel setup :D

Edit: when you look it that way, XT's are 24 spoked also, right?
  • supersonic
    It depends on the spokes used, and the rim too.

Your wheels are fairly basic, but not too heavy, you stand to save 250g.
  • 386ka
    I was just browsing some sites (Wiggle).. What about if i buy ZTR Crest + XT 785 rear hub + my own Giant Tracker 15mm front hub and do the build here? I would need a new rear rotor, unless there is some good 6 bolt version for the same price range.

Would they hold up for my kind of riding? Or should think about the Stans Arch EX?
    How are they comparing to my wheels in terms of strength, and how are they comparing with the Fulcrums?

Thanks.
  • supersonic
    The Arch would be my choice for harder riding. If you are planning to build them up yourself, then factor in the cost of spokes too. I would say the Fulcrum set up would be about the same strength as the Arch set up.
  • 386ka
    First, I am taking a slow approach on this one, don't have much money to spend, so I make up with time spent thinking and choosing.

What about this wheelset?
    http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/ea70-xc-26
    How does it compare? Strength wise? One thing I don't like is the 18mm internal width, would it provide enough support for bigger tyres? I think that they are rated to 2.4 but I doubt it would handle them?

And, again, I am truly, terribly sorry to have been such a pain in the bottom.

Cheers.
  • 386ka
    I went with the Fulcrum's, but it will take time for them to get here though :)