New bike and security

Lisa101
Lisa101 Posts: 33
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hey ppl,

New bike is coming next week YIPPEE!.. However I'm a bit concerned over security. It'll be kept in a utility room, it's pretty secure but not for a thief who wants to break in, as with all places. So what's the general rule of thumb?; Is it worth getting bike insurance, registering it, tell the police, watermarking (not sure what that is!), what numbers to note down, lock advise etc etc!! Sorry so many questions. Oh it's worth 1k btw.

Please help, ta X

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Kept in house, keep the house secure as possible, never leave the bike out of your sight when outdoors. Covers most things.

Insurance, if you've got house insurance you should have cover on that. Check the amount. You'll want to also check the "away from home" cover as that covers you if it's nicked outdoors. However you need approved locks outdoors if locked up, or keep it in your control at all times. Approved locks you'll need to check with the insurance company. Typically it's Sold Secure stuff of a particular grade. Note that this does not mean they are secure and almost all can be broken within seconds with the right tools, it's just that by using the right stuff you keep the insurance happy. Still, kept in sight and better touch when out riding you shouldn't need locks outdoors. Roof and tow-bar racks are more tricky. Personally I wouldn't use one and keep the bike inside the car if possible, and don't leave the car unattended with the bike in or on at service stations or when you get to where you're riding or at home.

Basically common sense stuff.

Registering it - note the serial number(s) on the frame. Maybe get it stamped with personal code etc (Police often have open sessions to do this). Register it on http://www.immobilise.com which is approved and recommended by the police. Can watermark it, or tag it, but the chances of it ever being checked are slim. If it gets nicked, basically assume it's gone, as that's what the police will assume and they won't spend money on reclaiming it. But if it does get nicked, do the work yourself. Check ebay instantly for a start, tell everyone, shout about it here and other forums etc. Surprising how many can be recovered with enough fuss.

Also, take photos of it's current state, and update them if you upgrade components, make notes of components, serial numbers, keep receipts, etc.

Oh, and don't give away where you live on line to people you don't know.
  • Lisa101
    Lisa101 Posts: 33
    Wow thanks, I was beginning to loose faith in this forum! Some great tips there..
    Tbh i wont be riding my Ghost around my way as i have a shit Apollo for that ;) And wen i take it to and from the car it will be covered up. I haven't checked my insurance but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be covered for away from home theft which is where I'd feel most venerable. So I'm thinking insurance mite be worth it.. Evans have quoted me a tenner a month but like u say, I'll need a sold secure lock (silver apparently) to fit the criteria.. and locking it to something unmoveable, would a radiator be ok?! But u raise a good point... I do alot of camping so putting the bike in the car just wouldn't be an option, it would have to go on a rack on the boot :-/ Yeah, I was a bit unsure about this, obviously I would never leave it unattended at service stations etc but wot about wen the car is stationary, at traffic lights for instance?!.. Jeez! we gotta think of everything cuz of them pesky thieves! Can you buy racks tht lock onto the car? Not sure..
    X
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chances of it being nicked are still low statistically if you're just careful. At times you just have to take a risk, and judge by the area you're in and the people about. Don't get too obsessed about it, just do what you can to not make it an easy target. I'd say it's at home where you have to make more of an effort, but generally it's sheds and garages where they get pinched as it's easy work and quiet for them.