advice for oldie

ant100
ant100 Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi people I am a 60 plus who want to get back to biking after a15 year gap.
I used to own what passed for a mountain bike in the mid 90s or what passed for a mountain bike then, just a road bike with knobbly tyres really. Any way have now retired and I am going to get my self a new bike and start again.
I have about £ 600 to spend and want a bike for off road but not extreme, beginners routes and general messing about to begin with until I gain some confidence.
Please don't suggest a hybrid as I have had a look at them and don't like them.
I have seen two bikes in this price range and could do with a bit of advice 1 - Cannondale Trail SL4 £599 2 - Saracen Mantra Trail. Can make my mind up between the two,Have been to the dealers and both pushed the brand they stocked so still not decided.would value any impartial advice given.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited May 2012
    Have a look a decathlon rock rider.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lo matey welcome to the forums

you might get more of a response in the buying advice section.

But at that price range you have to go a long way to beat the rockrider 8.1

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
  • cycle monster
    cycle monster Posts: 448
    Good for you! Are you able to try them out, or at least try them for size? Someone with a great deal more technical knowledge than me will be on here soon telling you why one is better than the other and why something else is better still. In any event fit and feel will do more for your confidence and enjoyment. Google them and you should get a bunch of reviews to read.
  • cycle monster
    cycle monster Posts: 448
    Told you so, they beat me to it whilst I was rambling!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome and seconded on the Rockrider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ant100
    Hi Chunkers1980 and mak3m Thanks for that tip never even thought of decathlon but the bike seems really well speced for the price and the vid on your link sums up exactly what I want to do to begin with cheers
  • ant100
    Cheers for every one who so promptly replied the only worry I have over buying from a major retailer like Decathlon is the people who put em together you hear such horror stories
  • cooldad
    It's just a bike, and Decathlon seem to do a decent job - no complaints posted. Not like buying an Asda bike with the forks on backwards.
    But I'm sure your LBS would give it a check over for not much, and you'd still be way ahead - enough for some accessories and even a celebratory beer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Decathlon are pretty decent and you'll find the staff rather helpful as i managed to get a test ride at my local Decathlon a while back in the stores car park as i left my car keys with one of the assistants so they new i'd be back with the bike lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Have a look at the Boardman Comp HT as well, can be picked up for £584 in Halfords if you reserve online using the code NUSMAY12. I went for the Boardman after considering the Rockrider, Hoodoo and Bokor.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • cooldad
    ElliesDad wrote:
    Have a look at the Boardman Comp HT as well, can be picked up for £584 in Halfords if you reserve online using the code NUSMAY12. I went for the Boardman after considering the Rockrider, Hoodoo and Bokor.
    Great deal at that price.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Invest some of your budget in a good pair of padded shorts. Your arris wont be used to riding after all these years and you will feel like you have been molested by an Elephant.

Get a helmet and gloves you will find the ground bites harder than it used to.

Most of all have fun if it doesnt make your grin meet at the back of your head theres something wrong.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    stubs wrote:
    Most of all have fun if it doesnt make your grin meet at the back of your head theres something wrong.
    Very good advice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Couple more suggestions if you get the bug and want to do more than just ride local doubletrack and forestry fire roads...

Some knee and elbow protection wouldn't go amiss as well. I'm pushing 50 and bumps and bruises take a lot longer to heal these days than when I was 30.

Invest in a skills day. This could be the best £60 you ever spend on biking. It can help massively with technique and confidence.

Really helped me enjoy my biking so much more. (And saves the time and pain involved in learning via experience :mrgreen: )
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk