Waterproof messenger bag that takes a big laptop

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Right. I've caught myself using weather forecasts to take the car into work as I'm worried about the laptop getting wet and (short of wrapping it in a binbag and slinging it in a rucksack) I have no reliable way of ensuring it stays dry.

So....

Just wigglebrowsed for a bit and saw the Ortlieb small and the DHB, both of which look good but are not well described or reviewed.

Can anyone recommend me a bag that fulfils the following;

1) Will take a big ol' laptop
2) Is not coloured from a six-year-olds crayon set. Black, white and (a bit, if you insist of) silver are acceptable.
3) Is reliably waterproof (I live in Wales folks, it rains, Manchester is merely damp and you Londoners may as well be in Death Valley by comparison)
4) Has a stabilising waist strap and not just a shoulder strap.
5) Does not require a second mortgage.

Tough ask?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    How big 18" is probably asking too much but that's more desktop replacement teritory?

For up to 17" http://www.slappa.com/hardbody-laptop-case
    Testing here: http://fwd.channel5.com/clips/show/top-5-laptop-bags
    Update: http://fwd.channel5.com/gadgets/computi ... aptop-case

£90

Targus Backpack is also a good option.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Check out the Ortlieb Velocity backpack. Not a messenger bag, but probably more comfy on the bike.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Timbuk2. Go to their website and you can spec your own bag and colours, if you are very fussy. Theirs certainly tick all of your 1-5. They are also unbelievably hard wearing. My one is coming up for 12 years and looks under a year old.

FWIW if I am concerned about keeping something very dry I will put it ina plastic bag inside my Timbuk2 bag. Although water has never got past the outer surface of the bag.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SimonAH
    Greg, you're a sod. Just spent more than intended - but 20% off custom bags from Timbuk2 until the 6th. Works out at £134 for a bag to my design (large laptop with a few optional extras and some fancy materials) delivered (assuming I sneak past the VAT radar on import).

Dark Navy Blue, Black and super reflective White panels (Estonian Flag.....) with a tarty bright orange lining so I can find stuff in it (and to match the fixeh :-D).

I'm all aquiver with that post purchase glow, and make the following promise;

"Neither dark of night nor howl of wind, neither slash of rain nor drift of snow shall provide me with excuse to take car and forsake pedals from house to office in the name of dry laptop, for this is the route to becoming a fat b*stard through inclement April" SimonAH.

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    You're most welcome!

It's always easier to justify cost when you can personalise something so that it is "just so"...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    SimonAH wrote:
    Just wigglebrowsed for a bit

Wigglebrowsed....hahaha. Love it.
  • SimonAH
    Well it arrived today - blinkin' customs caught me for VAT but oh well.....

It is a thing of loveliness, beautifully made and oozing quality. Lots of lovely neat touches, like the pockets designed for ipods and smartphones being lined with supersoft material (and pockets? ye gods! more zippered and elasticated pockets than the Artful Dodger's complete wardrobe!).

All the fittings are really robust too.....glad I custom designed it as I suspect I'm going to have to live with this bag for many years to come :-D Top steer Greg.

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    My pleasure!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Id have just mugged a postman! But thats just me.........
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Ohh, I've been contemplating one of these for a while.

What size us that Simon? Also, is it the laptop messenger or the classic messenger?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EightOhEight
    EightOhEight Posts: 170
    messenger bags are only showerproof no matter what they're made of as the design means rain enters under the flap in a heavy shower. I've recently changed to a roll-top bag from a messenger because of this.
    From this...
    AlexStanding.jpg&sa=X&ei=l5u2T_z8K4jD8QO0may1Cg&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEl1mzKwGwXzuft8FcF3iOsz4JbMQ
    ...to this
    IMG_0331%2B%255B800x600%255D.JPG
  • SimonAH
    Asprilla wrote:
    Ohh, I've been contemplating one of these for a while.

What size us that Simon? Also, is it the laptop messenger or the classic messenger?

It's the laptop messenger in large Asprilla, probably could have got away with medium in retrospect BT sometimes you're gonna need to lug a load of stuff and with the optional cinch straps it tightens up nicely so it's not sack-like.

@eightoheight, agreed, not as Ford-a-torrent waterproof as a rolltop but just a lot easier to deal with day to day. It would have to be pretty biblical for any major moisture to sneak in, and hey, fcuk it, if it's looking that bad I'll leave the laptop in the office or take the car!

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've only had water in my timbuk2 once in 5 years and that was because I hadn't closed it properly. If you get water in though it can't get out!
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I can't think of a time when I've had water in my Timbuk2, that's about 12 years of commutes. It looks like the miles it's done but works just as well as the day I got it. I can't even think of a stitch that's been stretched.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    Bit late for OP i know but in case anyone is interested - i have used one of these for past 6 months:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face- ... enger-bag/

fits a 13" laptop, packed lunch, rolled up trousers/shirt and a few bits and bobs like phones and stationery - and after a winter of daily commuting in manchester (with no rear mudguard) it has not let a single drop of water in.
  • I used and still have a DaKine messenger bag that was really good and waterproof, but for long commutes couldn't get on with it for some reason
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • asprilla
    Right, I've not been stuck on the Timbuk2 site for two days, in colour combination paralysis.

The middle section is going to be that reflective stuff, but are the other two bits going to be traffic cone, limeade, yield or raspberry?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    I can beat that, I've now spent around two weeks messing with countless colour combinations, trying to decide between something understated or a bit louder:

vo7iT.png

D0iN1.png

R91cZ.png

I'll porbably be at it for a few weeks more :roll:
    Marmalade
  • asprilla
    Padders wrote:
    I'll porbably be at it for a few weeks more :roll:

I still haven't chosen. :(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX