Shirt Zipped or Unzipped

Mr Wookie Man
Mr Wookie Man Posts: 43
edited May 2012 in Pro race
In the light of Stephen Roche's recent comments I was wondering where people stood on this.

Do you see an unzipped shirt as part of the aesthetic of the sport, something that adds to the mystique and appeal of cycling?

Or on balance do you think it would be better for the image of the sport and the sponsors if they all zipped up?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    How often during a normal race do you ever see the front of a rider's chest? Maybe for 5 seconds in the feed zone, or if someone is standing at the side of the road after a mechanical. Otherwise they're always a) hunched over the bars, and b) filmed side-on by the moto-camera.

The only time it matters is at the finish line, and they all know they have to zip up for that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    The aesthetics of cycling is about the beauty of the ride, not the beauty of the cyclist. Couldn't give a toss what they look like, if they pedal elegantly and ride a beautiful race they could be wearing mankini's for all I care.*

*wouldn't actually watch cycling if they did, mind. Just saying.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Just don't start trying to enforce these rules onto the women. Unzipped is just fine IMHO

LizHatch-567x377.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I think we should punish riders with bad pedalling styles too in that case.

In fact, if you're ugly, get out.

Wiggins and Cav. You may be very good, you may be doing very well for the Brits, but let's be honest; you're not doing cycling image in the UK much good. They already think we're gimpy. Cav barely looks like an athlete!

So basically it'd be a 3 down between Pozatto, Cancellara and Boonen all year round - though Boonen likes his jersey open so he'd have to go too.

Cancellara and Pozzato it is.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    But Mr Cavendish is utterly gorgeous!

And Boonen's not bad either.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Pross wrote:
    Just don't start trying to enforce these rules onto the women. Unzipped is just fine IMHO

LizHatch-567x377.jpg

Blimey! Perhaps we should make unzipped jerseys compulsory :wink:

It does seem odd that women's cycling isn't more popular. Athletic young women pedalling bicycles around in the countryside (and, from the blogs and interviews I see, they are rather intelligent too). What's not to like?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_m1dpu7Sws61rnwuelo1_500.png
    Contador is the Greatest