Hi All!

Geeds
Geeds Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Just thought I'd say hi as I'm new to mountain biking and the forum! Not long turned 40' so thought it time to get fit again before it's too late. A load of people I work with have recently bought bikes on the cycle to work scheme that our company is a member of. I've taken the plunge and ordered a 2012 Giant Talon 0 29er, should have it in a couple of weeks! I'll be doing a combination of riding to work and trail riding, and after reading up decided to go the 29er route, rightly or wrongly!

I'm in Bournemouth, for the record. First impressions of the site are that it's very informative, exactly what I need as a beginner! Any advice as to essential accessories etc I should be looking into getting would be much appreciated.
2012 Specialized Carve Comp 29er - a reasonable bike with a terrible rider.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Welcome :)

Accessory wise you'll most likely need:

- cycle specific clothing e.g. jerseys/waterproof/padded shorts/gloves/pads if needed etc
    - Puncture repair kit/multi tool/spare tube
    - For commuting - a really good lock (someone will give you advice on which one), insurance, and perhaps lights
    - And A Helmet!

I've probably missed some things but those should get you started!
  • Geeds
    Thanks for the reply, Greer! Yes, have sorted most of those things, but am yet to buy a multi tool. Not sure which to get to be honest. I'll have a look around the forum to see what's what.

Thanks again.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    welcome to the forums matey

just gone for a 29er myself, 3 weeks and counting.

if it fits you, and fits your riding dont let someone else tell you otherwise :wink:

make sure you check out the site reviews as well for kit can be really helpful or at least point you in the right direction, if you cant find try the buying advice section cos theres a good chance someone out there has one.
  • Geeds
    Cheers mak3m. One of the guys at work has the same bike I've gone for... he let me borrow it for a day and I loved it, so ended up ordering one myself! A few of the guys at work scoff at our choice of a 29er, but they shall not get us down! For me, it's the best of all worlds. Fast on the road, and soaks up the bumps nicely off of it.

Cheers mate.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lock wise, I leave a heavy duty motorbike chain (for the frame) and a 12mm cable (for the wheels) at work in my regular 'parking' place, very secure and cheaper than bike specific portable stuff!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Welcome to the family and remember when out on a bike ride or just having fun down the local trails take plenty of fluids with you as you don't want to get dehydrated lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Re a lock - if you have bike insurance the policy may well dictate what lock you are expected to have should some swine pinch your bike. I'd just go with that. I personally have a cheapo commuter bike instead; I never leave my mountain bike outside anywhere, but appreciate that's not practical for many!

http://www.soldsecure.com/ might be helpful.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Hi!
    Get ready to spend serious money. If MTBing grabs you, your 29er won't be the only bike you will ride. (I guarantee in a year you will be on here asking for advice about FS bikes.)

If you are doing a lot of commuting and/or some longer rides (3 hours +), I would look for a decent backpack too.
    Allows you to carry everything you need. Check out the Osprey, Camelbak and Deuter brands.
    Costly, but in my opinion worth it.

I use Osprey Talon 22 - it fits me better than the other brands and I like the back ventilation system.
    Can be used with or without a hydration system.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Geeds
    Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated. I've taken note of locks/insurance advice and to stay hydrated!

Erm... I've changed the bike I'm getting! So like I said, I'd ordered the Giant Talon 29er, one of the guys at work had bought one. Rode it and liked it etc. A few days ago one of the other guys at work picked up his bike, a 2012 Specialized Carve Comp 29er. Had a ride on that last night and liked this bike even more. It's more money but really liked it, so I've managed to change my order through the bike scheme. Scrapped the first oredr at the dealer, then ordered the Specialized. Means I'll be waiting a little longer now as the paperwork has to start from scratch, but really excited!

Cheers people for your thoughts.