can you cut down carbon bars?

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
putting together a spec list for a new build and fancy some wider bars. prev been using easton haven carbon bars at 711mm wide. I've got a lot of faith in eatons carbon bars, so was looking at the carbon havocs at 750mm, however have only tried bars this wide once, so not long enough to know if could live with them. can you cut down carbon if i do find them too wide (would only like be by a max of 20mm)?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most yes you can.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sofaboy73
    Cheers nick, swift as ever!

Havocs it is then.

If I did want to cut them I'm guessing a fine blade hacksaw would be the route or would a pipe cutter work (what I use on my Alu bars / steerers)?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    this should help..

just be careful not to breath in to much of the dust,, as it aint good for you.. aparently..
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Yes you can cut them down with a fine blade & a little light sanding just to smooth out - though as others will undoubtedly point out just need to make sure that your not compromising the design lay up of the carbon, am pretty sure as your only talking about 39mm there will be no structural issues but if your thinking of cutting down further may be worth looking into.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • sofaboy73
    Yes you can cut them down with a fine blade & a little light sanding just to smooth out - though as others will undoubtedly point out just need to make sure that your not compromising the design lay up of the carbon, am pretty sure as your only talking about 39mm there will be no structural issues but if your thinking of cutting down further may be worth looking into.

thanks for the input. if i do cut them down i'll only be talking about taking about 10mm of each end (ie ending up with 730 bars) and from what i know about eastons carbon and their reinforced areas i reckon that should be fine??
    delcol wrote:
    this should help..

for some reason the link you posted wont work on my lap top? what was it for?
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    sofaboy73 wrote:

thanks for the input. if i do cut them down i'll only be talking about taking about 10mm of each end (ie ending up with 730 bars) and from what i know about eastons carbon and their reinforced areas i reckon that should be fine??
    delcol wrote:
    this should help..

for some reason the link you posted wont work on my lap top? what was it for?

It's a guide from Easton giving you a step-by-step process of cutting their carbon products. Pretty much exactly what you're after!