SPD

leshere
leshere Posts: 38
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Just about to try to use clipless pedals for the first time!! Still trying to work out how to get the stupid gizmo to engage. Updates to follow
Cycling Daddy

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    slide foot in forwards and press down to clip. Twist heel outwards to release. simples :)

if its your first time might be worth practicing getting in and out against a wall a few times before you go for a ride
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    Right on the up side I did not quite fall off. But twice I had a forceful reminder that it is not yet automatic to release before putting foot down. SO the routine was try to put foot to ground, find they were locked to the pedals, expletive, do my best to hold bike stationary whilst kicking heels out like a Bolshoi ballet dancer with ants in their shoes. I am not really used to drops, nor very hard narrow tyres either(not for 40 years anyway) which added to the merriment. Max speed 40kph (Gads and there is me fumbling to remember how to brake), average 21.7 but that had some slow speed practice round local streets, distance 9.56 time 26mins. Only I am not sure I have mastered the computer yet. Mostly on open road I was doing 26 to 30 kph which is better than I feared.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Secret to unclipping is to drop your heel before twisting out sideways. If you simply pull up it will not release properly.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    smidsy wrote:
    Secret to unclipping is to drop your heel before twisting out sideways. If you simply pull up it will not release properly.

And concentrate on your heel rather than the ball of your foot and don't leave it too late!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Anyone who says they haven't fallen over from forgetting/being unable to disengage is either lying, or they've missed the "yet" off the end of the sentence :D
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • snoopsmydogg
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Anyone who says they haven't fallen over from forgetting/being unable to disengage is either lying, or they've missed the "yet" off the end of the sentence :D

soo true :lol:

had a minor 'moment' last night. first time in spd road shoes & pedals nearly resulted in a low speed fall when slowing to a junction felt like my left shoe wasnt going to come free. Been riding mtb spds for a few months and for some reason appear to be easier to get out of :oops: .
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Have you adjusted the springs?
    I got a second hand pair, and the previous owner obviously preferred the security of full-tight adjustment - not what I was expecting when I returned from a test spin, but happily I'd stopped by a wall. Backed them right off and no further problems. Yet ;)
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I went straight from flats to speedplay zeros. They were so stiff to get in I initially had to be stationary, brakes locked on and put all my force through the pedal at 4 o'clock to have them engage. I took the opportunity of 3 days rain to practice clipping in and out inside, wedged between the foot of the bed and the windowsill so i couldn't fall. Now they clip in with just my bodyweight (only 56kg so this was half the difficulty initially) and they're a joy to use. SPDs are meant to be far simpler so you'll get there in the end, just take the time to practice somewhere you can focus on just the pedals without worrying about moving forward, surrounding cars and getting embarrassed in front of a crowd!
  • snoopsmydogg
    slowsider wrote:
    Have you adjusted the springs?
    I got a second hand pair, and the previous owner obviously preferred the security of full-tight adjustment - not what I was expecting when I returned from a test spin, but happily I'd stopped by a wall. Backed them right off and no further problems. Yet ;)

mtb spds are set full-tight but to be honest dont feel much different to full-off so didnt even think to check. As they were road pedals/shoes I had a couple of goes before setting off and thought there wasnt much difference. Wasn't until i was coming up to a junction riding a road bike with completely different handling and an oncoming car in the distance seemed to help me forget how to release :oops:

Took a while to get the mtb shoes set up right so may just have a play with the road cleat positioning to see if that helps too.