OT: Buying used cars

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Guys,

Got to go and try and find a little car tomorrow for the missus to ferry the kids to and from school (oldest daughter starts school in September and has just started swimming lessons) and we are currently only a one car family.

I'm totally spineless when it comes to haggling for things, so does anybody have any good tips, methods for getting the best price possible for a used car?

The missus has said any cash we save under £4k I can spend on bike stuff, so this is very important!! ;):)

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    firstphoto.jpg

You're welcome!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Try Cargiant, they don't haggle so you can see what the prices are online. A good guide of what might be in your price range if nothing else. Get an RAC engineer to check the car over before you buy though, unless you know your way round a car sufficiently well to do that yourself.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Damn - I wanted £6k for our car.......

Find fault is the best way; look for anything where there is a 'problem'.

Full Service History - yes or no, is it a dealer service history - yes or no - good haggle points. When was it last serviced, cam belt (if it has one, has it been changed?) - MOT due? Rust or bad paintwork anywhere?

Just become really picky!

Another good one is to say in front of the sellar; 'So, <<insert wife's name here>> what do you think about this one compared to the other <<same make and model>> that was a bit cheaper?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Do your homework beforehand. A browse of AutoTrader will tell you what what similar cars are worth when buying through trade and private.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    have a look on Parkers

they have owners reviews of most cars, which is nice

im the fussiest person when it comes to cars

look down the car at an angle so you can see if any panels arnt straight

look at gaps in panels - generally any new panels will not be replaced straight. Bonnets are classics for this

Ford KA is ultra cheap to run/ insure
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    A mate's top tip on buying cars was to check that the vehicle had four matching tyres of a decent brand; anything else was indicative of an owner who either didn't care or was spending the bare minimum. Four large ought to get you a Focus and change; recommend a high mileage (70K+), recent reg. over an older, lower mileage one.

(sorry, mud cow - I wouldn't trust my family in a Ka)
  • mudcow007
    DrLex wrote:
    A mate's top tip on buying cars was to check that the vehicle had four matching tyres of a decent brand; anything else was indicative of an owner who either didn't care or was spending the bare minimum. Four large ought to get you a Focus and change; recommend a high mileage (70K+), recent reg. over an older, lower mileage one.

+1

very true, unless the car is still pretty new an on the existing tyres from new
    DrLex wrote:
    (sorry, mud cow - I wouldn't trust my family in a Ka)

yeah the back end is pretty squishy, but most small cars are quiet scary in the back.

drivers normally fair pretty well in a crash because of the engine, in small cars theres nowt behind!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    mudcow007 wrote:
    very true, unless the car is still pretty new an on the existing tyres from new

Unlikely, for a decent hatchback at £4K, but possible.
    mudcow007 wrote:
    yeah the back end is pretty squishy, but most small cars are quiet scary in the back.

drivers normally fair pretty well in a crash because of the engine, in small cars theres nowt behind!

Agreed; I'd buy one for my daughter to drive, but prefer her not to be in the back of one.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Just about anything that isn't a low mileage, good condition, small engined, high mpg diesel that is cheap to insure is hard to shift at the moment. Don't be afraid to lowball a seller irrespective of condition. Do it simply on the basis it is a buyer's market.

Best tip I heard was if you don't cringe with shame when you hear yourself utter your opening offer, you've gone in too high.

Of course, probably best if you're also prepared to be told to fcuk off!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Easy haggling.tip.for the gentler soul.is to push the price responsibility onto someone else (not present) so they can't be haggled with and it's not your fault. For example "I really like it but my father in law is buying the car for us and he's told me we can only go up to 4k, is there anything you can do?"
    Very effective tactic.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    firstphoto.jpg

is that an Ewok in the front of that?!
  • FoldingJoe
    Cheers for all the advice.

Was thinking of starting at £3500 on a car we've seen that is on for £4250, maybe with a view to paying £3800.

Sound like a decent plan?

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Cheers for all the advice.

Was thinking of starting at £3500 on a car we've seen that is on for £4250, maybe with a view to paying £3800.

Sound like a decent plan?

Good man!
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    If you're buying from a dealer, rather than a person, just ask them, If I was to buy this car now, what's the lowest price you'll go to. When they give the answer, just say thats too much. Then offer less. Most car dealers love the sound of an immediate sale, so will usually give their best price. For whats its worth, most dealers will negotiate by around £500. I used to work in a car dealership ( in marketing, not sales thank god!)
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Check out recent finished auctions on ebay and current asking prices on AutoTrader and Glass' Guides
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    No.

No, No, No!

NO!!

You all missed the most important part of the OP, viz:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Guys,
    The missus has said any cash we save under £4k I can spend on bike stuff, so this is very important!! ;):)

Right, what's on your bike stuff list, essentials and nice-to-haves? Get that sorted FIRST then you'll know what budget is left for the car. Priorities, man!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    One random tip that I picked up from my dad (used to sell cars) is to make your offer and then be silent. Don't be tempted to fill the silence that will inevitably follow a low offer. Puts the pressure on the seller rather than on you!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Jonny~D
    Jonny~D Posts: 2
    Take the kids to school by bike, and spend all the budget on bike stuff, trailers, tag alongs etc......way more fun!
  • Don't be afraid to travel for it. i don't know about where you live but s/h cars down here in Devon can be a bit overpriced. A few years ago i bought a volvo with a £13k budget. i got exactly the one i wanted from oop north near newcastle for £11.5k, a same spec car down here with same mileage was £15k. well worth the train ticket to save the money. Just go on autotrader and do a national search with a lower price and you'll be surprised what pops up!
    2009 Trek 4500. Grand Canyon CF 9.0
  • FoldingJoe
    :)

Steve, I ended up buying something private, from somebody in Plympton... :)

You are right about the prices being cheaper outside of the SW though. I've had friends fly to Scotland to pick up cars.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    :)

Steve, I ended up buying something private, from somebody in Plympton... :)

You are right about the prices being cheaper outside of the SW though. I've had friends fly to Scotland to pick up cars.

More importantly. What did you get, how much and what are you spending the change on?