Hi, a couple of commute questions

benjii19
benjii19 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm new to this cycling forum and also to commuting to work. I've only got a 4.8 mile commute to work. But am finding it quite hairy at times.

I've got a couple of questions.

When approaching a busy roundabout with the intention of going straight on (second exit) and then 200metres up the road having to go into the central reservation of the dual carriageway to turn right. What lanes would you take?
Should I take the roundabout on the left and fight my way across to the right when on the dual carriageway with almost certain death or use another approach. Bearing in mind I don't have the acceleration of a vehicle in my puny legs.
Here is the roundabout in question: http://g.co/maps/ew224 DONCASTER ROAD TO FITZWILLIAM ROAD AND TURN RIGHT ON TO CHESTERTON

In a queue of traffic am I entitled to go down the centre of 2 lanes, or the furthest right of a single lane? If I were to do this but need to turn left I imagine I'm better off going down the outside and then signalling across to get in lane again to turn left.

I find cars are driving too close to me, one almost knocked me off my steed this morning. Should I attempt to stay out further so that they actually have to overtake rather than skim me and scare the living daylights out of me.

Other than that it's sure to get me fit or killed!

bEN

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Take the lane if you hug the kerb on those sort of roads cars etc will blat past with inches to spare.

I'd take the left lane to the roundabout but slightly to the right so no car attempts to squeeze in and to allow others to go left,

I'd ride down the dual carrageway once the right turn was in sight i'd start looking, back indicating right, and start moving over, slotting into a gap, still holding the lane.

does look fairly unpleasent has to be said, worth having a look to see if you can avoid it if it's troubling you or getting off and taking the underpass?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I know that stretch - it is a bit fast from memory...!

I don't envy your commute, but I would ride as though I was driving a car, use the appropriate lanes as a car would, and make my presence felt.....This is easier said than done and does lead to some honkage, but at least if people honk, they have seen you!

Not really sure what the best answer is to avoid a catastrophe.....!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Hi Ben, welcome to Commuting Chat.

I've had a look at the roundabout and I think that I would approach it in the middle lane or filtering inbetween the middle and offside lane, but once onto Fitzwilliam Road I would stay in the nearside lane until just before the junction for Mowbray Street, when I would start to shoulder check, indicate and move over into the offside lane when safe. From there moving into the filter lane to turn into Chesterton Road shouldn't be a problem.
    I know its easier said than done, and in traffic you may have to make your manoeuvre earlier or later than you would in an ideal world, but from what I can see, I think that is what I would do.

Regarding your positioning in a lane, DO NOT RIDE IN THE GUTTER!!!!!
    As you have already experienced, cars will overtake you too closely. Ride a bit further out from the gutter and make them make an effort to overtake.
    The fairy lives in the gutter and she will get you if you ride there. If you ride in the left wheel tracks of motorised traffic, you are on the cleanest part of the road, far enough away from the gutter to make it hard for the fairy to get you and passing motorised traffic will have to overtake properly. Also, regular shoulder checks remind approaching motorists that you are a human on a bike, not just a cyclist, so they give you a wider berth.

Ride safe and have fun.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Are you on a mountain bike ? If so I'd go left onto Mobray Street, hop up the kerb on the right and go down the steps to the underpass. Then across to the other side and out onto Sycamore road. Can't quite see from streetview but you might need to carry your bike up steps.
  • benjii19
    Twostage wrote:
    Are you on a mountain bike ? If so I'd go left onto Mobray Street, hop up the kerb on the right and go down the steps to the underpass. Then across to the other side and out onto Sycamore road. Can't quite see from streetview but you might need to carry your bike up steps.

yes I am on a trusty MB, I do have a road bike up in Stannington,Sheffield to appreciate the lovely countryside and keep up with my padre in law who is an avid cyclist. The Moutaing Bike just doesn't cut it round there
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Read Cyclecraft by John Franklin. And then ride like a car, unless there's any special 'local' reason not to.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's an interesting fact, but proven by experiment (can't recall the source though I'm afraid) that a car will typically give you the same clearance distance as you are from the curb.

In other words if you are riding in the gutter they will skim you. Ride about 3 feet out (what we tend to term 'primary') then they tend to give you about the same space.

Takes some balls to do the first few times you decide to 'dominate' a lane, but it is very much safer.

You also tend to pick up a lot less pointy stuff in your tyres....

Regarding filtering, I would advocate pretending you are a motorcycle. Where sensible filter to the right of the lane you are passing (unless of course there is a cycle lane). The reason for this is that car drivers expect to be overtaken on the outside and are much more likely to see you - this is multiplied if you have a strong front light on when filtering (even in the daytime). I tend to flick the Magicshine on in situations like this and it does make a lot of difference.

Happy riding!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    TBH, I wouldn't even call 3 ft out from the kerb primary. That shouldn't be much more than closest you get to the kerb, on a normal road.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hmm, yeah, you're right, it is further out than that - at least a third of the way across the lane.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    That's not an easy junction, particuarly if you are on a mtb. Have a think about other options for the time being - the underpass option isn't a bad idea.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Take the lane, move out to the centre of the lane so cars can't pass without straying into the right lane. After a few weeks most traffic (you'll see most cars every day) will adapt to your behaviour. It's happened to me here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?fti ... btjAfD-eQ2
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • All sound advice above, dont be fraid to dominate a lane for your safety!

With a "relatively" short commute I would consider looking for an alternative route to avoid the busiest roads and make the whole journey more pleasant. you'd be surprised how a little extra mileage will improve your journey 10 fold!
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Chap, this is a tricky one. Unfortunately, there is no real way round it: be assertive. Get in the lane in advance, take your position. Signal VERY clearly, be assertive. If the traffic is largely stationary, as I hope it will be, make a really concerted effort to catch their eye. At this time of the year, you have the advantage as most people will have windows down. Don't be afraid to shout out your intentions, it will often shock the car users who are just not used to other PEOPLE.
    Good luck.
    Other advice is good: if you can take an alternative, safer route (which may be quicker), go for it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • benjii19
    Thanks for all the advice, the commute in this morning was much more enjoyable. Staying out of the gutter did help, the only challenging thing was dealing with potholes whilst cars are trying to pass you by much too closely. More did attempt to pass me leaving more distance than before however.

Cheers