Lightweight full face helmet recommendations...

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Not for me, but for Notax :D

We need to have full face's for the Mega, I already have mine (bog standard 661) but Notax needs to get one. It needs to be very lightweight as he injured his neck years ago and whilst it's ok now it seems sensible not to aggrivate it (he will also be wearing a neck brace). I'm sure i've seen 'enduro full face's' advertised - basically FF's with some vents - anyone tried these?

Thanks for any advice!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if he is wearing a leatt or other neck brace a proper MTB FF is a must.
    TLD tend to be light but dont fit all heads. I can not use them.

sorry but he needs to see what fits and is comfortable with the brace on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • miss notax
    What's a TLD?

I don't know what make his neck brace is but i'll check at home - it didn't occur to me that it might not be compatable with some FF's so thanks for that :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Troy Lee Designs
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Troy Lee Designs
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Troy Lee Designs

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I use a THE Point 5 which is pretty light and cheap. Works perfectly with my Leatt neck brace. May not work perfectly for him though. As has already been said, you really need to try helmets on with the brace to make sure they work for you. I'm assuming he hasn't worn the brace before? If so, make sure he takes time to set it up and don't give up on it after a few rides. It does take some time to get used to it.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Tran Li Designs (Chinese copy)
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Might be worth heading up to the Forest of Dean on May 20th. Surf Sales are demoing Transition and other stuff including Kali helmets. You could do some uplift stuff to practice and Notax to try out the Kali helmets (I have a Chakra and it's very, very impressive).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • miss notax
    So what was TLD again....? (kidding!)

Thanks :D Good idea about the demo day at FOD - unfortunately Notax is rallying that weekend or I think we would have gone along.

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Specialized deviant is a full face helmet with lots of vents. Also comes in a carbon version which I guess is supposed to be lighter?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    tld tld tld tld tld tld.. carbon... love my tld carbon lid... nice and light and snug..

our kid has a 661 carbon lid thats light i would say it's lighter than my tld lid. and lighter than my carbon t,h,e lid..
    the industries carbon lids are decent to they light enough.
    he is better of trying them on though as helmets area personal thing.. what fit one may not fit another..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use a Urge Donw-O-Matic. Lighter than a lot of carbon helmets, nicely ventilated & very comfy. I can quite comfortably wear mine all day.
  • miss notax
    I use a Urge Donw-O-Matic. Lighter than a lot of carbon helmets, nicely ventilated & very comfy. I can quite comfortably wear mine all day.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58787

This? In the sale too..... :D

Will pass this info on to Notax, thanks!

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Urge can take some serious work to get to fit. They do come with a LOT of internal pad options and despite that I was never able to get the Enduromatic to fit my Giro shaped head.*

Which does bring is on to the usual caveat (and already mentioned) that he really ought to try as many as possible on to get the best fit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    +1 for the Spesh Deviant Carbon
  • miss notax
    Yep, I get the fitting issue - he'll try before he buys!

It's good to know people's opinion as a starting point, so thanks :D

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Urge does come with a few pad options, took me about half an hour to get the right combination so it's not that bad. CRC do free returns so you could order one, try it & send it back if it doesn't fit