Transmission Questions

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i'm slowly building my self a new ride and today received my Shimano Alivio (M410 22/32/42) chainset. I spotted on the box a label saying 8/7-speed. Now i'm aware that some of Shimano's various parts can be used with 7/8/9 speed (derailleurs etc) i have been away from the MTB scene for a number of years and would just like to clarify. I'm hoping to go 9 speed rear and would just like to know if this chainset will work with a 9 speed chain/cassette?

If not i will use an 8 speed chain and cassette as the amount of gears i have is not really an issue but i would rather know now before i purchase shifters/cassette/chain. Also while we are on the topic i would like some recommendations for a good chain (9 speed if it will work OR 8 if not). I will be honest with you although i perform regular cleaning/oiling of my chain i usually never replace them :oops: (never had one break so bad it couldn't be joined/fixed again). So would prefer a nice "robust" one (mid range £'s if poss) i hear Shimano one's are a little feeble.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it will be fine with 9spd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nick :D

Thanks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    IMO you'd be best sending it back and getting a deore transmission group, if you still need the rest. But you may be doing it a bit at a time.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Why whats up with the Alivio groupset (have just bought one myself)
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nothing really, you'll just get something that's better for not a lot more.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Oh thank the lord for that!! I thought you were about to say theyre guff!!

Just spanked out £115 for a full 3x9 groupset!! Deore wasnt much more id agree, but seeing as im a pourper I went for the cheaper one LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Hi. Deore crank was £58 this Alivio one was £30. And i already have the BB for the Alivio crank installed plus (for me anyway) i don't think it's worth twice the money imho. Not fussed about weight etc and i guess they will shift gears almost as good and the extra cash will buy me something else.

Any recommendations as far as the chain? (9 speed non Shimano BUT compatible of course ).

Thanks.