Sausage & Bacon Sarnies

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Before I moved jobs I looked forward to the sausage and eg sarnies served up at BLT on the corner of curtain rd / gt eastern street. You know what I mean - proper butchers sausages, big eggs, crusty bread with proper tommy k, 'undiluted' back bacon - you can't go wrong.
In the Cheapside area I've searched up & down Bow lane, behind St Pauls and everywhere else for something similar at the same deecnt level of price. Whatever I've found does not even deserve to be found in a sunblest bag. Sausages that arn't fit for hot dogs, thin white sliced bread, tomato puree mixed with vinegar trying to pass itself off as tommy k, rancid, almost negligible bacon rashers.
I'd rather not extend the Friday commute to BLT (for the stats watchers extra mileage comes at the end of the year) but may have to.
Does anyone have any recommendations where I can find similar culinary masterpieces in my local area?
Alternatively if you have a great sausage sarnie shop to recommend post details inc postcode and I can have a go at sticking a gmap together for them all!
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have only one other proviso for a good breakfast roll - bacon must be rindless and must, absolutely with out exception, be smoked.

Unfortunately, being over the border in the land of the leek, my supplier recomendations may not be of much use to you. Although Lizzie's van in Cwmbran deserves honourable mention.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Just to rub salt into the wound (and not the sarnie) - I have a greasy spoon less than 10 yards from the front door of my office....along with a high end restaurant, domino's pizza and a subway.......There is also a Sainsbury superstore and a number of clothing and goods outlets on the retail park across the road....

Now that you have placed the thought of food in my mind, I am off for a sausage and egg sandwich....
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    I have a car park, some fields, a council estate.To makes things worse before we moved offices we had all those amenities you speak of - a taste of the finer things, ahhh the good old days. :cry:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Check out these guys if there are any near you, very tasty

https://www.birleysandwiches.co.uk/site/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Heh, wondered how long it would take for BLT to get a mention on here. They're a firm favourite in our office and we often get them to do lunch for the whole office - in house training events and such. Some of the wraps are bordering on ridiculous: Seaside Wrap - battered fish, proper chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce... in a wrap; at Christmas, they also did a full Christmas dinner in a wrap.

Cheapside recommendations, dunno really, as I'm based near Old Street roundabout, but I reckon BLT is worth the detour of a couple of miles extra (1.3 each way according to Googlemaps)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    on our estate we have a greasy spoon - literally.... the bag the food comes in, is normally see through with grease

we have a butty van whos operator is rumoured to eat feral cats

an a BP garage
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • 5milestogo
    5milestogo Posts: 224
    .....theres a chinese take away near home thats next to the vets - its rumoured to have a serving hatch between the buildings! I've managed to avoid it so far.......the local birleys to the office shut down recently - maybe I can get BLT to deliver??
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Don't normally get sarnies in. But Friday is Cafe Friday I'll be eating this, known as the Awkward Steve:
    plate.jpg
    Bubble is optional if I'm not overly hungry.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Butty van in the car park of Stoer lighthouse - crusty bread, smoked local bacon and sausage with HP sauce
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Don't normally get sarnies in. But Friday is Cafe Friday I'll be eating this, known as the Awkward Steve:
    plate.jpg
    Bubble is optional if I'm not overly hungry.

No black pudding... Fail... :roll:
  • rjsterry
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Is.Granny Takes a Trip still functioning in Chelsea? Had many a hangover cure breakfast in there in my youth.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Is BLT the place that used to be run by the guys who own Eyre Brothers on the same road as Cantolupe?

If so I used to go there for lunch nearly every day about 8 or 9 years ago when working in Mark Sq. They did amazing BLT's, and Chorizo rolls.

Great place and sounds like it is still going strong.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Nope, it was called Eyre Bros, and it was on Charlotte Road, not Curtain Road... alas, no more.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Big fan of the wraps at BLT, but Ruby on Charlotte Road is even better for bacon sarnies. About the best in the City is Grazing on East cheap, a bit closer to you but really worth the trip. They also do black pudding and fried egg, Haggis and other meaty delights.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if you're on cheapside you have no excuse for not getting a good sausage and bacon sarnie. you're right next to smithfields meat market. just cut up little britain.
    The C0ck Tavern, Smithfields does a great full english.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    Our work does a good brekkie for $3. Problem is. Canada doesn't do beans, so it's not great.
    FCN 12
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    This is the best place on earth for bacons rolls, bit out of your way though I'm afraid

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=w7+2nz&hl ... 7477710987
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    prj45 wrote:
    This is the best place on earth for bacons rolls, bit out of your way though I'm afraid

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=w7+2nz&hl ... 7477710987

Small world. They used to do my Wednesday morning midweek anti-misery bacon+egg buttie when I worked for the empire. Wouldn't say the bacon buttie was the best in the world, but pretty good.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    neiltb wrote:
    Problem is. Canada doesn't do beans, so it's not great.

What What What!?
    Heinz BBQ beans were the best part of my canadian breakfasts, I miss them :( (I lived in Alberta for a while...)
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    rjsterry wrote:

Been looking for a decent place for such delights since moving to Ldn, and with the impending office move to Farringdon this will be on planned commute into work :D
    FCN 7
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    mudcow007 wrote:
    on our estate we have a greasy spoon - literally.... the bag the food comes in, is normally see through with grease

we have a butty van whos operator is rumoured to eat feral cats

an a BP garage

thats what you get for living in the nice place that is netherley