arm warmers useful or waste of time

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi - are these useful or a waste of time. There are some merino ones on the bay for around £17, but I am not sure they are worth getting any advice?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    samsbike wrote:
    Hi - are these useful or a waste of time. There are some merino ones on the bay for around £17, but I am not sure they are worth getting any advice?

Absolutely.

One of the best things I've ever purchased for the bike.

More love on warmers generally here: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12851125
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Also, merino ones would be very nice!

Just make sure they fit / err on the smaller side - nothing worse than loose warmers.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Fantastic bit of kit. They do what it says on the tin, keep ya arms warm.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Apart from my gillet they are my most used piece of clothing in spring and autumn, Geting too warm as the day goes on?-just take them off and stuff them in your jersey pocket.

Absolutely vital in my experience.
  • nickl360
    nickl360 Posts: 59
    Best piece of kit I've bought for my bike..
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    They're one of my most used pieces of kit. I don't use long sleeves so whenever it's cold it's jersey + arm warmers all the time. With 2012 weather so far, I'm using them for about 95% of the rides.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Ditto - this is arm and leg/knee warmer weather at the mo.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    arm warmers - up there with the gillet, on the list of essential kit. for those cooler mornings (elsewhere) when you need to get warm rather than stay warm
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Armwarmers are an essential bit of kit, but I wouldn't get merino ones. Roubaix for when it's really cold, lycra for when it's less cold. Wooly armwarmers don't make much sense to me - despite what some folk claim, merino is not some miracle material.
    More problems but still living....
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    amaferanga wrote:
    Armwarmers are an essential bit of kit, but I wouldn't get merino ones. Roubaix for when it's really cold, lycra for when it's less cold. Wooly armwarmers don't make much sense to me - despite what some folk claim, merino is not some miracle material.

+1

I'm currently trying to talk myself out of picking up some Castelli Nanoflex arm, knee and leg warmers. I've resisted for a week but suspect I'll end up ordering them just in time for 6 months of sun and 14+ degree weather...
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    amaferanga wrote:

How wrong 1 man can be! Merino IS a miracle material! NZ sheep have been usign it for years :wink:

I've got a pair of Endura Baa-Baa merino arms and they are fantastic! A bit on the small side for the sizing but 1 of the best bits of kit I've bought so far. I must confess tho I am a merino freak! I wear nothign but merino thermals for all sorts of outdoor playing, merino lined gloves for winter scuba, merino hats, merino gloves, merino socks ..... I'm even thinkign of gettign my own sheep to grow my own merino. But hey! I'm Welsh and need a cover story :mrgreen:
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Very useful. I use them the most on summery days where the temperature hovers just on the verge of chilly - i.e. about half the year in Scotland. I like my Santini ones best although if you want a cheapy wooly style pair the Prendas ones aren't half bad.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Wouldn't be without them. As stated they keep you warm, until you warm-up, then they're easy to peel off and stow away on the move, if the temperature ever gets into double figures. :(
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

+1

I'm currently trying to talk myself out of picking up some Castelli Nanoflex arm, knee and leg warmers. I've resisted for a week but suspect I'll end up ordering them just in time for 6 months of sun and 14+ degree weather...

You must be on the point of emigrating then!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Lightning wrote:
    They're one of my most used pieces of kit. I don't use long sleeves so whenever it's cold it's jersey + arm warmers all the time. With 2012 weather so far, I'm using them for about 95% of the rides.

Ditto again!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    My Specialized ones are great
    The weather in the UK is so unpredictable that sometimes I keep them in my jersey pocket in case the temperature drops when I'm out
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I own some fancy Assos ones, but they were a complete waste of money as I have never used them, or felt the need to use them.

I either wear my Intermediate Evo Long sleeved jersey on those slightly chilly days, or on warmer days a short sleeved Jersey. If its a borderline day, I carry a lightweight waterproof in my short sleeved jersey pocket which I put on at the top of a climb in preparation for the descent.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Possibly my most used bit of kit, just got a pair of fairly cheap lusso roubaix ones. In fact combining them with a lightweight gilet can make a really versatile outfit for spring and autumn when it might be chilly when you set off of a morning but once it warms up you can stow the warmers and gilet in your jersey pocket.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Seeing this thread earlier made me remember I had leg warmers with me when I moved from Austria, and motivated me to go out for a ride. Thanks guys!