Triple Versus Double Advice

defy3man
defy3man Posts: 68
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Needing some advice folks so would be grateful for any thoughts on my concern. I am getting a new Defy 2 in the next few days and my current bike is a Defy 3 2010 model. Now the worry I have is the 3 has a triple crankset 30/39/50 and a cassette 12-25, the 2 is a compact 50/34 with a 12-30 cassette. The problem is I have a lot of hills where I live and I am not yet fit so am using the granny cog quite a bit on the hills albeit on second lowest gear on back as I can't get chain to shift to lowest gear. Is going the compact route on the 2 going to a major problem on the hills or will the small chainring and low gear at back be pretty close to what I have just now? Sorry for such a long winded post.

Comments

• paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    30:25 is about the same as 34:28. So your new bike will have lower gears, if it is really a 12-30 cassette.

Paul
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The default answer. stick your cog sizes in, press Go and see what it tells you.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
  • defy3man
    defy3man Posts: 68
    Thanks guys, Cycling Plus road test of Defy 2 in Jan states freewheel as 12-30 in spec page but in review 12-27. Giant site list it as 12-30 so guess that's what it is. When I really start to think about it I think I'll manage. Shedding the granny ring has got to be a good thing.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    and plus this way you only need to change a cassette as you improve. You will soon be ready for a 12/25 with a compact and then you will have a much smaller gap between your gears, helping you stay comfortable in your cadance.