fixing carbon

dan man
dan man Posts: 68
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
ran my bike on to a tree stump today and cracked my carbon frame on the down tube 15 mil crack :evil: .can it be fixed :?: .and can i ride the bike befor i get it fixed :?: . wat is the best way to protect my frame in the future :?:

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Quick google gives these guys http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html if you don't fancy tackling it yourself.
    Get a pic up and let us poke and point (and advise :) ) .
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    there's a couple of vids on youtube showing you how to repair carbon frames.. personally i would look at having it done by a pro....
    or you could try out the crash replacement scheme the frame manufacture has...
    i would not risk riding it untill it's been looked at you dont know what kind of damage has been done. it may only be a surface crack of the outer layer.. or worse case it's cracked straight through.. and could result in failure...
    wat is the best way to protect my frame in the future
    avoid hard impacts.. a lot of people swear by helitape...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    dan man wrote:
    wat is the best way to protect my frame in the future :?:

Helitape will prevent sharp objects like stones from chipping or penetrating through but I don't think its going to help against a tree stump?

Some bike manufactures have rubberised or leather protectors to almost cushion the impact but again these are for large stones.

Sounds like you just rode into a immobile object there is not much you can do about this type of accident apart from ride a tank. Just put it down to bad luck.