SLX 9 speed rear mech play

sensi10
sensi10 Posts: 68
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 9spd slx shadow rear mech which is only a year old and it seems to have allot of play in the jockey wheels. Its allot of play and its almost like its meant to be their as it was like this from new but I`m not sure as I have had XT in the past and none of my old mechs had play like this. Also it seems like it gets very noisy when riding and needs alot of cleaning and adjusting to keep it running smooth. Is this normal for slx parts to be like this and its just that xt is that much better or do I have a faulty mech?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The top wheel does have play.

Sounds like you may need new wheels if they are too worn.

Should not need any more adjusting than any other mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    sensi10 wrote:
    Its a lot of play and its almost like its meant to be their as it was like this from new but I`m not sure as I have had XT in the past and none of my old mechs had play like this.
    Please clarify the play, the top wheel should have a lot of side to side play, it's how it changes gear smoothly, styaing in line with the current gear as the cage starts to move and then as the chain picks up on the new gear moving across in line.
    The lower wheel shouldn't have any side to side play to speak of.
    Are the cage bolts the wheels spin on done up tight?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sensi10
    I`m going to strip it and check , I just checked my brothers xt and his has no play , maybe their not tight ?
  • sensi10
    Well I have checked and the cage bolts are all tight , the other weird thing is when I pedal backwards in the smallest rear gear the chain jumps up gear. I have checked the chain which is fine and well with in stretch limits and the cassette has only done about 200 miles. The rear mech is adjusted correctly maybe have a faulty mech?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't pedal backwards ?
  • sensi10
    Don't pedal backwards ?
    Cock!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mechs are designed to work one way - pedalling backwards will change cogs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    sensi10 wrote:
    Don't pedal backwards ?
    fool!
    True, but I'll give you brave points for admitting it on an open forum....

Think, how does the rear mech have any effect on the rear gear as the chain approaches it from the chainwheels without going anywhere near the rear mech? Clearly the rear mech then has little or no effect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.