Carbon forks

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
I don't get them!
As you read reviews on forks, generally the more expensive the more compression etc ( I know this is a big generalisation) but for £300+ you can buy carbon forks! This ins't mega cheap, nor is it mega expensive, but why are they ebing sold? Do they have compression? Are they the latest ing to have. Can you do jumps/drops on them or are they just for bridal ways ?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Are you talking about carbon steerers on suspension forks or rigid carbon forks?

For carbon steerers, it's to reduce weight. For rigids, I believe it's for again weight saving, but it also takes some trail buzz out. Jumps and drops probably wouldn't be the best thing for them!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For around £100 you can get excellent carbon forks
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=959&
    They are not suspension forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Teach
    Thank you, but I still don't understand them. Why are they on the market when everyone is making making front suspension with lots of movement. Are carbon forks just designed for mountain bikes that only go on canal paths? I suppose I'm now wondering if my cyclocross bike is capable of taking more of a hammering than I give it when just racing it?
    Cheers
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Compared to sprung forks - a set of rigid carbons weight nothing. And, er, people used to mountain bike on rigid forks - for a long time. It needs slightly more care and less speed, but we got around the place.

If you want an ultralight mtb build, then why not use rigid forks? Who's to say they're bad for the application?

I'll bet you're not racing CX on just canal tow paths - that's got to tell you something.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Teach
    Clank, I couldn't agree more. I do wonder if we are all being sold something we don't need. Admittedly if you're flying down hill like a world champ then the suspension etc is needed, but if you are to take a bit of care/ time then perhaps a lot of what is available isn't needed.
    I suppose what is still going through my mind, is will my cyclocross bike do all that I need it do, even if my mates are all riding full suspension bikes etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In most cases, the bike, any bike, is more capable than the rider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I suppose what is still going through my mind, is will my cyclocross bike do all that I need it do, even if my mates are all riding full suspension bikes etc.

A very skilled rider on a CX bike can handle some hard terrain - but MTBs are usually more capable for the more majority of riders for many reasons. Whether rigid, hardtail, or full suspension.

Carbon rigid forks are light, and can be ideal for skilled riders, those who don't need as much comfort, or those who ride gentler terrain and don't need the weight or movement.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've watched a chap on a Zaskar team with rigid carbon forks and V-brakes destroy a fairly reasonable rider on Stumpy FSR on a technical downhill section at Cannock....much harder work though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Theirs still a few people out there that don't like the idea of suspension forks due to the weight and have adapted to
    off road riding with rigid bikes and believe it's better than lugging a heavier suspension bike around weather it's a hardtail or a full susser but at the end of the day your body is going to take more of a hammering on a rigid mtb than a suspended one lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Teach wrote:
    Thank you, but I still don't understand them. Why are they on the market when everyone is making making front suspension with lots of movement.

They're a laugh- make for a very different ride. Also they weigh nowt. Some folks'll recognise where this is taken:

5892078548_bb4620fa4e_z.jpg
    IMG_0366 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Mind you I wouldn't have it as my only bike... Nor would I want to ride innerleithen's black and downhill trails on my cross bike, but it's good fun on a fat-tyred rigid.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • IT66T
    I've never been up there but it looks like it could be good old Ben Nevis up in that lovely bit of the world known as Scotland .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Northwind
    Nothing so impressive! It's the summit of Minch Moor, top of Innerleithen red/black route.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • IT66T
    Minch moor , well that's why i didn't recognise it as i've never been up there either but it does look enticing though :) .
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Northwind wrote:
    Nothing so impressive! It's the summit of Minch Moor, top of Innerleithen red/black route.
    When I was up there, we had to use that trig point as a land anchor. Absolutely crazy weather :lol:
  • Northwind
    "You know what we should build across this incredibly windy exposed blasted moor?"
    "A wind farm?"
    "No! A mountain bike trail!"
    "Terible idea! Should we at least build a shelter?"
    "Oh OK- but let's make the walls 2 feet tall, and not give it a roof."
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    :lol:
    That ride will always stick in my memory. It was just an overcast day when we set out, but it developed into a huge storm.
    We were riding across the moor leaning into the wind, with our pedals scraping on the ground, and falling over when the wind eased occasionally.
    And by the time we got back to the car park, there was a flood so deep that the water was submerging the shock on my Marin
    Awesome :lol:

And yet, still the locals came out with the quintessential Scottish "Oh, it's always like this round here", even though the news was claiming the worst floods in 20 years or something!
  • Seeing that photo reminded of the time that some friends and I took a kite with us to Traquair. We got it in the air, then tied the line to that post in the background, did the Minch Moor Descent, and then rode back up to find that the kite was still flying!

...it seemed like fun at the time, anyway.
  • Northwind
    Innerleithen%20MTB%20Lake.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Was that taken in 2010?
  • Northwind
    No idea, but tbh it could have been taken just about any year... They didn't so much build a car park as build a fence round a bit of the river.
    Uncompromising extremist