V Brake repair help

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I have just bought a cycling computer for my Carrera TDF 2011 Ltd Ed and I noticed that the left brake pad of the V brakes was rubbing slightly against the rim. The stock brakes on this bike have a small leaver on the right hand side of the brake arm that you pull up and it opens the pads a little bit so you can take the wheel off. I took the brakes apart and cleaned up the brake arm a little bit and added a bit of lube to stop the resistance it had. I installed that back on perfectly but now the little leaver that opened the brakes is completely un-functional and only moves the brake chord it is connected to with it, not around it if you know what I mean. Basically the chord just bends up as the leaver is pulled not sliding it up so that it releases the brakes.
I know this is hard to understand but has anyone had the same problem and could offer any tips or solutions?

Means a lot thanks.
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Don't know the answer but they are calliper not v brakes ( vs dont have that kind of quick release system) and you should re post your question on workshop where the online tech gurus hang out - failing that is it under warranty if so take it back to the Halfords where you got it and they will sort it out for free.
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    Why would they sort out a problem for free when it has been caused by the owner 'adjusting' it himself?
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    Sounds to me like your lever that allows the wheel to be remove has siezed, the part the cable attaches to should rotate separately from the little lever probably needs some lubrication and working free
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    lastwords wrote:
    Sounds to me like your lever that allows the wheel to be remove has siezed, the part the cable attaches to should rotate separately from the little lever probably needs some lubrication and working free

Not so sure. It all worked perfectly, the OP took the brake apart and reassembled... and the quick release doesn't work. Sounds like something was not reassembled correctly. There are some very good online guides to dual calliper brakes (which is what your brakes are) so have a ferret around. I would suggest taking apart again and reassembling following a guide (such as Park tools)...or going to your LBS and asking them for help (won't cost much).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is this the bike and brake : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUvGeUm9QY

There is an allen key screw on the caliper that realigns the centring of the brake - if you'd done that - you could fix the rubbing.

I'm not quite understanding the new problem though. I'd look at the other brake that hasnt been touched and work out whats the difference ?
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    xpc316e wrote:
    Why would they sort out a problem for free when it has been caused by the owner 'adjusting' it himself?

I am sure my local Halfords would as they never bothered asking how things happened they just fixed stuff for me when my hybrid was in warranty. You have a good point though they would be entitled to say warranty was void I agree. Still no harm in asking