Ventoux tamed. Sort of.

daysofspeed
daysofspeed Posts: 105
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Bought bike in January. First one since I was a kid.

Just back having ridden the Ventoux. Awesome stuff. Hit 69.5kph on way down. Climbed a total of 4100m in two days.

Wish I was still there!

Comments

• mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Blimey, there's nothing like easing into cycling is there - riding for 4 mths and already conquered Ventoux - respect!

If you don't mind me asking - how old are you (or more to the point, how many years since you last had a bike?).
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Nice one sounds like a good time was had then - got any others planned for the future?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Congratulations. Very impressive :)
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Nice one.
    I found Ventoux from Bedoin really hard. Great coming down though!!
  • daysofspeed
    I'm 45 and last owned a bike in 1980.

I'd like to go back to France, cycling there was fantastic - maybe a Tour stage and possibly another go at that big bugger. I wasn't as organised as I'd have liked. Not because I didn't prepare, but just sheer inexperience. The descenwe were brilliant.

First day rode Col de la Madeline and half of the Bedoun climb before getting rained off. Next day Malaunce climb to top and down again with a 24km crawl back to where we stayed.

Totally hooked. Maybe some sportives, definitely some leisurely rides into Surrey - those hills will still hurt but I'll have a smile when they do!
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I'm 45 and last owned a bike in 1980.

I'd like to go back to France, cycling there was fantastic - maybe a Tour stage and possibly another go at that big bugger. I wasn't as organised as I'd have liked. Not because I didn't prepare, but just sheer inexperience. The descenwe were brilliant.

First day rode Col de la Madeline and half of the Bedoun climb before getting rained off. Next day Malaunce climb to top and down again with a 24km crawl back to where we stayed.

Totally hooked. Maybe some sportives, definitely some leisurely rides into Surrey - those hills will still hurt but I'll have a smile when they do!

Crivens! That sounds like an adventure. Was that an organised trip, or did you go alone, what bike yours or a loaner?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • linchun38
    linchun38 Posts: 3
    Very impressive
    hh.gif
  • Russell Smith
    Russell Smith Posts: 229
    See the thread below (IN PRAISE OF VELOVENTOUX) regarding the time of our lives and any links you need .

Russ
  • daysofspeed
    Ten of us went and stayed at Velo Ventoux. Was superb, every minute of it. I'd love to do it again!

My bike, a Specialized Sectuer 2011. Best I felt I could get for the £480 I paid for it. Obviously could buy another bike right now if I had the money but it did me fine going up and coming down!