Anyone got a Planet X 'Uncle John'?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Considering a wee purchase.

Mainly as a bit of a project of taking my old bike apart and reusing the bits on the Uncle John.

Anybody got one?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Haven't got one, but like the look of them. Quite fancy a road bike with discs. The Kaffenback looks good too.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Nobody?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I think Woodford2Barbican and Gert Lush have one. I think Gert did the LEJOG on his.

They're nice. How does the price compare to other frameset options?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Get the Equilibrium: it may cost a little more up-front than an Uncle John, but there won't be so strong an upgrade itch. It'll save you a fortune and you know it will.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've had one for about 5 years - hasnt changed much.
    Good no nonsense crosser. I used it as a commuter - took guards and racks.
    Replaced it in September with a pompetamine which is just the job for commuting but feels a bit sluggish in comparison.
    Keep meaning to put cx tyres on the uncle john and go out for a play
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I have a Kaffenback I built up. It's good fun! Did LEJoG on it and London to Edinburgh with no problems.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ive an uncle john. Lovely bike - I've used it for adventure racing, sportifs, offroading and an Ironman.

My race bike is a CF TCR and I've not bothered with that since I got the UJ. It can do anything - I just put sturdier wheels on for winter or rough stuff.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    pangolin wrote:
    I have a Kaffenback I built up. It's good fun! Did LEJoG on it and London to Edinburgh with no problems.
    Just out of interest, I've heard of toe overlap on the KAffenbach and Pompinos, have you had any issues with that?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I have size 12 feet and have no overlap with no mudguards. Small amount with mudguards.

(No problem at the rear either with panniers fitted, if anyone cares)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    pangolin wrote:
    I have size 12 feet and have no overlap with no mudguards. Small amount with mudguards.

(No problem at the rear either with panniers fitted, if anyone cares)

Cool, ta!