cleaning

ksouthy
ksouthy Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi,
what do you recommend for cleaning my bike? and am I being stupid in thinking I could put a thin coat of a sort of car wax on my bike to make it easier to clean in future?

be nice :)

Kieran

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Water. Don't clean the brakes. Job done.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    for cleaning just use water and a brush

Some people use a tiny bit of hairspray on the frame, makes the dirt slide off next time you wash it apparently.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • EyesintheSky
    EyesintheSky Posts: 183
    Hot soapy water here, haven't ever had a problem. When i'm done it's cleaner than when I started so jobs a good'un.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    if its dusty just water

if its mud or road grease quick soak of muc off then water

both with some brushes, i use a baby bottle cleaning kit :D
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Water if not too dirty, for grimey bodywork then washing up liquid is fine just as long as you rinse the bike thoroughly afterwards as washing up liquid can be corrosive due to the salt content.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • ksouthy
    Ah ok, simple enough then eh! Cheers!
    We sell some silicone lube at work that creates a protective film on machinery surfaces, so I may give that a whirl.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Be very careful spraying lube randomly on your bike - get it on the brakes and you have problems.
    It's a mountain bike and meant to get dirty. I give mine a spritz of Muc Off because I got it cheap, a wipe and hosedown.
    Nothing goes near the brakes except a good spray of cold water to flush any grime out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ksouthy
    ok, thanks! I'l keep that in mind
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    And while you are polishing away on your new toy promising to wash it, and love it, and feed it, and clean its cage and take it for walks every day.....

Once the initial thrill of cleaning wears off :D The only must do (except not lubing your brakes :P ) is clean the drivetrain. Dirt/dust and chain lube makes a cracking grinding paste and will wear your cassette, chain and chainrings pretty quickly. So if pushed for time/enthusiasm a muddy frame won't make any difference. A dirty drivetrain will cost you in replacement parts...
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394

Once the initial thrill of cleaning wears off :D ..

LMAO i aint got past that bit in 3 years love giving the steed a clean

my brother in law rides DH and some vrough XC to a way better standard than me never washes his bike, never lubes or nothing and the dirteh boi never seems to have any problems

the swine :x
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    ElliesDad wrote:
    Water if not too dirty, for grimey bodywork then washing up liquid is fine just as long as you rinse the bike thoroughly afterwards as washing up liquid can be corrosive due to the salt content.

Washing up liquid will also ruin the paint and will leave it looking dull in no time at all but i just use wash n wax car shampoo every now and again as it helps protect the paint from drying out and going dull .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I used the silicon spray stuff and got some on my breaks. I had to replace the brake pads. I don't use so much silicon spray any more :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • dazza Cox
    dazza Cox Posts: 4
    I have used muc off but find it a little expensive. I have since been using cheap car screen wash in 5ltr bottles, cost £2.99 from aldi. Spray on, leave 2 mins and rinse off. Rag with a little wd40 sprayed on it wiped over frame ( avoiding disks and pads) and job done 8)