Have you been?...

5625tom
5625tom Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in Holidays
Hi,

Has anybody visited a ski resort in the Alps during the summer months and taken their mtb?

On a recent snowboarding holiday I wondered if in the summer you could ride the slopes, take the bike on the gondola and bomb it down? Has anybody done this? Can anybody recommend a destination?

Many thanks
t

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes many are open and cater for the MTB crowd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    I'm sure much more knowledgeable people will be along soon but suggest a Google search involving 'Portes du soleil', 'Chamonix mountain biking', 'Morzine mountain biking' and 'Les Gets mountain biking' to start you off.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Portes du soleil is a really good starter one to visit. It's got a massive rainge of trails over a huge area ranging from very easy to fairly insane. It's also really well signposted and easy to find your way around. I'd suggest staying in Les Gets or Morzine for your first visit - there'll be plenty of friendly people there to help show you round
  • danm99
    danm99 Posts: 22
    It was a few years ago now but in between climbs we would do some MTB trails in Chamonix during the summer. It was amazing. Plenty to choose from. The way we found out about it was when in the lifts going up to start a climb we would see loads of mountain bikers flying through the forests.
  • 5625tom
    5625tom Posts: 9
    Thanks for your advice, sounds like a good place to start! cheers
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I have been to just outside Kitzbuhel for 2 years on the bounce. Very good DH and XC.